74 CJ5 D30 wheel bearings-how to - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 10:12 AM
grundt

74 CJ5 D30 wheel bearings-how to

I just bought a 74 CJ5 258 w/drum brakes (my first jeep) and I'm trying to go through it and perform all routine maintenance.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the front wheel bearing to repack them.

I have 3 different repair manuals (Clymers, Chiltons, and Haynes), and none of them show a diagram that matches what I have.

From what I can tell, it's a Dana (30?) axle (looks very similar to the Dana axle I have on my 3/4 ton GMC) with a Warn manually locking hub.

When I remove the hub, the first thing I get to looks like a washer with a screw driver sized slot in it. I can't figure out how to remove that thing. I've tried tapping on it in both directions (left/right) and it doesn't move. Behind it is some type of bearing (with four small round holes in it) and behind that is the lock nut.

Anyone know how to get this thing off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 11:30 AM

Re: 74 CJ5 D30 wheel bearings-how to

I am pretty sure there are lips bent up,you have to flatten them out.Look really close cause they can be small.That screwdriver slot in the washer,is what keeps the nut from backing off.I think that is what you are talking about?If you get all the grease off you can see it better.I had the same problem one time!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 12:01 PM
Official Historian

Did you remove the lockout hub completely or just the outer part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 08:13 PM
grundt

No, it's definately not the lock washer (with the folding tabs). I've got a Dana full-floating axle on my GMC and I'm familiar with what that looks like.

This doohicky (that looks like a washer with a screwdriver slot and won't budge)is the very next thing on the spindle after I get the hub off.
Behind it is a bearing and behind the bearing is the big 2+" spindle nut. (In other words, it's not even next to the nut)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 08:15 PM
grundt

I removed the lockout hub completely .... I guess ... I took off the six (I think) hex bolts, and the whole assembly came off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode