Jeep Rubicon - Extra Thick Ring/Pinion? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Jeep Rubicon - Extra Thick Ring/Pinion?

I'm shopping for some Dana 44 ring & pinion gears, and noticed that some sales information shows Dana 44 gear sets with extra thick ring & pinion gears. Just wondering if these extra thick ring & pinion gears (which I'm thinking are for the Jeep Rubicon) will fit my 1976 Jeep Cherokee front Dana 44 axle? Is there some advantage to the extra thick ring & pinion gear sets.
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 11:28 PM

Re: Jeep Rubicon - Extra Thick Ring/Pinion?

I believe an extra thick ring and pinion allows you to use a 2.72-3.54 carrier for a 3.73-5.38 gears. Using the thick ring an pinion will allow you to keep your current carriers if you don't plan on going with a full case locker.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 06:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I believe that Agent99 has nailed it down for you. The differentials with gearing above 3.54:1 have such a tiny pinion that they had to move the ring gear sideways to keep the tooth size the same in those gearsets. So..... the replacement up-ratio gearsets have to be thicker to allow for the extra space. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I see what you guys are getting at. The information I'm seeing on Dana 44 carriers / lockers, shows a gear split for 3.92 & up and 3.73 & down. So, just to make sure I understand this correctely, I could install the extra thick 4.56 ratio gears on my 3.54 carrier. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Now onto the next question, does anyone know of a technical article on the web where someone installed the extra thick 4.10 or 4.56 gears on the 3.73 & down carrier / locker. Just wondering about a tech article, because it would seem to me like an affordable option to keep my current 3.73 & down carrier and install the extra thick 4.56 gears and maybe try something like the Aussie Locker. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the help,
dave
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 08:46 AM
Way Outta Control

I don't know for sure, but I was told the Rubicon ring gear has a couple more bolts too. That's why -- at least my local supplier's excuse - why he hasn't been able to find a source of 4.56 gears. All my local supplier can get are 4.88's.
With 35's on my Rubi 4.10's are too tall, 4.88's would be too low, 4.56's would be perfect.

Can anyone verify that?

(With 4.10's now it feels like I don't need 5th gear until about 160 MPH.)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 12:15 PM

I defiently could be wrong on the carrier break and it does sound right 3.73 and down 3.92 and up. I'm not sure on the rubi gear rumors I know for a rubi or any dana 44 for that matter you can get a spacer to use thin ring and pinion on a tick carrier. You might want to check JU (i know but I know tjrubi on there and i'm sure several others have swapped the ring and pinion in their rubis) post up on the tj form.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Here is some interesting information I found at Randy's Ring & Pinion

"Randy's Ring &amp; Pinion, a leading supplier of <nobr><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,84767);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(84767);"><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,84767);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(84767);">truck</nobr></a></nobr></a></nobr> and off-road differential parts, announces their distribution of the new Yukon Dana 44 4.88 thick gear sets for the 2003 <nobr><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,84716);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(84716);"><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,84716);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(84716);">Jeep</nobr></a></nobr></a></nobr> Wrangler Rubicon.

Yukon Gear engineered the 4.88 thick gear to mesh seamlessly with the existing Rubicon lockers, the top-of-the-line Tru-Loc air lockers. With the computer-designed 4.88, Rubicon owners can push beyond the limits of the standard 4.10 gear and can move from the 31" stock tires up to beefy 37" tires. The thick ring gear set, made from high-quality 8620 steel, also works well in older Dana 44 rear-ends with a 3.73 &amp; down carrier case, eliminating the need for a new carrier case or locker. Like all Yukon Gear, the 4.88 is built strong and runs smoothly and quietly.

Here is what I found from the Yukon Gear Catalog. Randy's has the Yukon Gear Catalog online if you can open an Adobe Acrobat file. Anyway page 10 of the Yukon Gear Catalog shows this part number information.
YG D44-456T 4.56 Thick, fits 3.73 carrier
YG D44-488T 4.89 Thick, fits 3.73 carrier

Thanks everyone,
dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1310977-Dana 44 carriers.jpg (35.3 KB, 12 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 02:53 PM
Way Outta Control

Thanks Dave -- obviously if it fits the Rubi and the regular D-44's - 3.73's andf down, then it doesn't have the extra bolts like I heard.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 09:11 PM
RedSandDog

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
With 35's on my Rubi 4.10's are too tall, 4.88's would be too low, 4.56's would be perfect.

Can anyone verify that?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 4.88s wind up feeling a little lower than the stock set up on 31s. I turn about 2800 rpm at 75. Great on the trails though.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 02:44 PM
HoJoPo

It's my understanding that Dana makes a 4.56 thick ring / pinion set, that can be ordered through the Jeep dealer (or, for that matter, any Dana dealer) for the Rubicon. They don't make a 4.88, but the Yukon 4.88's have been popular with no reported problems so far (one guy grenaded his locker because they used break-in oil, which is NOT recommended with the Rubicon locker... just use the normal, synthetic 75W-140 during break-in if you regear a Rubicon.)

Rubicon take off 4.10 thick cut gears are fairly cheap to find, as many Rubicon owners are re-gearing for larger tires. If all you want are 4.10 gears, I've got a set I'll sell from my rig, with 8k miles on 'em.

-Howard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode