Hypothetical - CJ7 stretch to CJ8 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Hypothetical - CJ7 stretch to CJ8

Ok, so heres the story, I have an 84 CJ7 that I have been working on for a few years and it is running great, has several excellent mods thanks to this board. I do not want to part with it. It is a very solid rig that I have spent a fair amount of time and money on but not it is not a serious crawler. I also have a wife and two small kids that like to go up in the Colorado mountains with the <nobr>jeep</nobr> as well. The problem as you all know is that a CJ7 does not have much room for anything but a few passengers. Now I do have a trailer, a jamboree rack and hitch rack but don't care to much for those. What I could use is a CJ8 just for the extra space behind the second seat. However, I do not want to buy a new project when mine is good.

So here is what I was wondering. Could you cut off the end of a CJ7 and extend the frame and body to the length of a CJ8. As mentioned in the title this is mostly a hypothetical question but I might consider it depending upon the answers. I know you guys are great thinkers so tell me what you think the issues, pitfalls, concerns, benefits etc. of this might be.

The goal would be to only extend the body and not touch the driveline at all. Cutting the body in the rear seam before the corner would sound like the place to start, extend the frame, relocate the cross-member, fab some body mounting points, add necessary supports and sheet metal, extend wiring, relocate gas tank filler from rear to a side fill position....What else. If you think this is a stupid idea remember this is not a planned project but a question to stimilate thought and discussion so flamers need not answer with 'Dude just buy a Scambler and be done with it!"

Thanks for your opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 11:12 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Hypothetical - CJ7 stretch to CJ8

1. It's a doable project. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 12:50 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Hypothetical - CJ7 stretch to CJ8

Yes, it can be done, I have seen a few. However- I would suggest another method. Your idea consisted on adding additional length behind the rear axle. Good for storage, bad for off-road. Even the stock overhang on a Scrambler is considered too much for most hard core Scrambler owners, who regularly bob their rigs. The new Unlimited adds length both in front of and behind the rear wheel. This is by far more ideal. I would suuggest going to the AEV Conversions website, and look at some of their streched wranglers. Their ideas can be adapted to your 7, if you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode