Buying a tow trailer, tell me about yours - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Buying a tow trailer, tell me about yours

I am going to buy a trailer to tow my Jeep on.
I want a full flat deck so I can use the trailer for other things.
Questions:
1. What brand do you have?
2. How much did you pay for it new?
3. Wood or metal full deck?
4. Steel or aluminum frame?
5. What is your trailers capacity?
6. Please post a photo if you got one.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 09:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Buying a tow trailer, tell me about yours

I have no clue who made my trailer, I think the title says easy trailers or something like that. I found mine used, but never really used for 1000 bucks. It was a open deck, and the tires still had the knubs on it. Its a 15 ft deck which is just right for a jeep, but still small enough for everything else it gets used for.

It cost me about 100 bucks to close it in. We just added one more piece of C-channel down the middle and laid down the diamond plate.

A few things i looked for when i was buying, the size of the steel the builder used. Mine used 4 inch c-channel. I looked at others that used 3 inch. Make damn sure it has trailer brakes on both axles. I also noticed that there was different lengths in tongues (from the trailer deck to the ball). I wanted a long one. Makes for more room for a box to keep all the trailer junk in (straps, chains, more straps and a few more feet of chain). I also wanted to add a winch to the trailer but couldnt see it sitting in the weather all the time, so that ended up in the box also, as did two batterys to power the winch.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 11:43 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Mine is made by Superior Trailers. Steel frame, 16' long. Brakes on both axles. I bought it new in 1998, $1750, if I recall correctly. Open deck, metal. I like the open deck - it allows me to crawl under the Jeep or other cars on it as well - I find it very helpful!

Sorry, don't have the capacity handy.

One thing that was pointed out to me when I bought mine - the channel running up the sides from the rear of the trailer, is just bent in and continues right to the hitch ball -- as in, the front triangular section of the trailer is not a welded-on separate section, but rather it's all one piece of steel on each side, all the way from the ball to the end of the trailer. Seemed like a good idea to me.

Sorry, the photo isn't that close up. I like the extra length with the Jaguar on there -- someone will run into the trailer before they hit the car. If I recall, mine came in either 14' or 16'. I opted for the 16' for that reason.

Also, mine has straight axles - as in, no drop axle. I've seen some trailers in my british car circles where with the drop axles, the fenders are so high above the deck that you can't open the car door once the car is on the trailer. Probably won't matter much if you're putting a jeep on, but it matters to me with the car and the jeep on it regularly.

Good luck,
Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 08:22 PM

I hate to ask because I know the book says no more than 2000 lbs for towing capacity, but do any of you use your wranglers to pull your jeeps? [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 08:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I only use my Wrangler to pull another Jeep...out of a stuck...

You might be safe with a ski-do on a trailer or a small "utility" trailer...watched a guy pull a "pop-up" trailer once...Brakes on the Wranglers are not the greatest for stopping the Jeep, let alone something stuck to its back side...plus with the short wheel base, you get into a "tail wagging the dog" kinda thing.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 09:06 PM
Old Hand

Here's mine. The trailer is steel and weighs around 1800 lbs empty. It is a better built trailer with brakes on the ft axle only. The trailer is rated 7k. It has (2) 3500 lb axles.

If I had it to do over again, I would not have bought this trailer. It has an odd size hub and tire that are difficult to find. The wheel is a 5 on 5 bolt pattern with a 215x75r15 tire. Most of the 5 lug patterns I have found for trailers are 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Tires are either 205 or 225 (1/2" either way, not too bad for a spare.)

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1311573-trailer.jpg (28.9 KB, 5 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 11:55 AM
Can't Get Enough

C'mon you trailer owners! Bryan is not the only guy out here clueless about buying a 'Jeep-hauling trailer'... me too. Though, at the rate I'm going, I'm gonna need a tractor-trailer Jeep hauling rig! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Please... more info/experience/guidance for us trailer novices! [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Addict

I recently purchased a 7X18' tandem axle trailer with brakes on one axle. It is steel construction with a wooden bed. It is rated for 7000 lbs. I bought it brand new for $1,389.00. I have pulled the Jeep on a few 500 mile trips and cannot imagine needing more than one braking axle with the light Jeep on it. The reason I went with the 18' model is I can easily fit my ATV on the trailer with the Jeep and still have room to balance the trailer properly.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1311840-trailer.jpg (64.3 KB, 6 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 09:12 AM

I bought a Big Tex 70CH with brakes on both axles. Its a 16' with pullout ramps out the back. Its held up real well. Paid $1400 for it new in 2001. Came with new trailer tires (unlike some places that put on car tires) It has a wooden deck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1312173-70ch_lg.jpg (9.3 KB, 23 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 08:36 PM

this is a 92ish no name utility trailer.
brakes on both axles, 7K, 83" between the wheels(be shure to get the widest there you can!!!, you will need it eventually)
trailer isnt built th eheaviest, but has been used and abused every year, and lots of miles put on it. pulls easy, wood deck is noce, stuff doesnt rattle off(make shure its treated wood)
the rails are good/bad. bad for car haulin, good for misc junk.
the fenders suck, and the lights get easily knocked off.

can still haul home a one ton ford for the frotn axle though.

22,000lb trailer 24'
first thing, it is a tow rig DESTROYER!!
pintle hitch(sucks so bad for towing, slams around back there) trailer itself is HEAVY(over most vehicles tow rating, just for this trailer empty)
tall deck height is annoying sometimes. hard to tie stuff down, plus side, it is super wide, and makes a great RTI ramps.
bad- LOTS of tongue wieght. nice tandem dual axles though.
if you do buy a tandem dual, amke shure ti is setup like this one(similar to a dually pickup), do NOT get one with duals on seperate sides of a frame rail(worst design, you cannot easily get the inner tires off)

14k, 25' gooseneck
pulls great, not super heav, heavy springs, big hubs/axles, WIDE(good/bad)
kinda tall, kinda wide. fair amount of tongue weight.
pulls STRAIGHT!, but you lose the ability to put lots of stuff in the bed when towing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode