TJ D44's under a CJ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

TJ D44\'s under a CJ??

A question from my Son (Jackson, yellow CJ with 304 goes uphill great on the end of mav750's wench cable). This is a cut and paste from email.

The question:

Subject: Axles

Since some of the new TJ's have D44's do you figure it'd be easy to swap em into a CJ from a wrecked one? (Not that you could easily find a wrecked one, or that it'd be cost effective if you did... just speaking theoretically.)

My answer:

The width is the about the same, TJ maybe a bit wider from wheel mounting to wheel mounting (just use TJ wheels), lug patter is the same, driveshaft would be the same or easy to adapt. Springs completely different with no simple way to convert a CJ to TJ springs. So the coil spring stuff would have to be cut off and leaf spring perches welded on. Not sure what type of emergency brake (cable or hydraulic?) TJs have. It's very doable.

I have some babyback ribs I'm going to smoke sometime this weekend.

"end of email cut/paste"

So was my thinking close???

Without thinking about ratio or maybe some other details... It should be easyer than lots of other options discussed around here. Isn't it?

Hey Dirt Dog........ No ribs for you, it's just too far. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 11:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: TJ D44\'s under a CJ??

ifv you were to ever actually get your hands on a TJ d-44, you could sell it on ebay, but a scout d-44 and install a locker and gears into the ARB and still end up $$$ ahead.
TJ d-44's sell for over $700 and they have the coil spring perches, trac arm mount, upper and lower control arm mounts, and sway bay mounts on them. Oh, they are alos the wrong bolt pattern. TJ's are 5 on 4.5" CJ's are 5 on 5.5"
Now a scout d-44 is the right width, super cheap, and the correcct bolt pattern.
I picked one up for $75 last month and I dont know what to do with it, but it was too good a deal to pass up.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

OK, the first flaw in my thinking was the lug patteren.... made up for with .... just use TJ wheels.

Funny but I don't want my CJ to look like that.

All of the spring and mounting issues I guessed that I didn't know.... never even crawled under a TJ.

As for the Scout D44's.... There can't be many Scouts left... wonder where mine is now? I have not seen one in a salvage yard in years. Damn that old Scout was fun (some things I couldn't post hehe), I pulled more morons from the ditch with that thing than even I can remember.

Keep it coming... more more more!

$/junk is in the find and the salvage yard.... some of them don't know what they have.... low $ if you search.

It's likely not something I'm going to do... just a topic of conversation at this point.

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 12:32 AM
Keyboard Implanted

one other thought.
most CJ's have an AMC 20 in the rear. a d-44 is NOT an upgrade to this axle. by far the cheapest solution is 1 pc axles and run it!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 01:26 AM

A front 44 would, however, be an improvement over the D30 in the front of a CJ, no?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
most CJ's have an AMC 20 in the rear. a d-44 is NOT an upgrade to this axle. by far the cheapest solution is 1 pc axles and run it!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my opinion too, but maybe not my Son's.

A front 44 would, however, be an improvement over the D30 in the front of a CJ, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 09:37 AM

one other thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the 20 gets a bad rap.
IMHO take away the 2 piece axles and upto 35" tires it's one heck of an axle.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

And to take into account is that the TJ is a driver side differntial. The CJ is a passenger side drop
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

And to take into account is that the TJ is a driver side differntial. The CJ is a passenger side drop

[/ QUOTE ]

D'oh, completely forgot about that. Guess that could be overcome with use of a different tcase but I like the D300.

Thanks
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 01:55 PM

I wouldn't swap in a 44 in place of an amc 20 unless you bought a matched pair of axles with a different ring and pinion, were going wider, or your 20 was completely trashed.

All AMC 20s have a 8 7/8" R&amp;P and use a 29 spline shafts dana 44's have an 8.5" ring and pinion and 30 spline shafts, i couldn't find the shaft diamaters. Those axles are pretty much the same. In my book any 1/2 ton axle (ford 8.8 and 9", dana 44, amc 20, gm 12 bolt) is pretty much the same in strenght stock (well put 1 piece shafts in an amc 20) you can upgrade them to be stronger but if your breaking a 1 1/2 ton axle you'll break another.

It's much easier to keep the 20 if it's still good and spend $300 on a set of 1 piece shafts than deal with the hassle of swapping an axle in. There's more to swapping an axle than just spring perches usually and the little thing can add up real real fast. If he hasn't done many mods before take it slow and don't do any major swaps at first. In my mind a dana 30 and amc 20 w/ 1 piece shafts will be allright with 35's, just carry a spare set of front shafts and your old 2 piece 20 shafts just in case. I was running a small u-joint 30 at the bash and didn't have a problem running 35's (granted i was babying it some but it survived just fine with no issues). It's all in how you drive and when you throw in the towel and pull cable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode