Caddy Calipers?...Will They Work Correctly? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Caddy Calipers?...Will They Work Correctly?

I'm in the process of collecting pieces for a rear disc conversion for my YJ. I tried searching and came up with some info, but haven't come across any clear yes or no's as to the general feeling of caddy calipers. Once they are setup, do they work? Are they a complete pain in the ass to get setup? Any and all opinions welcome. Thanks. Any other options for a rear e-brake other than $800 for a driveline e-brake(Jesse's quote from highangle to retrofit my D300).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Caddy Calipers?...Will They Work Correctly?

Mine worked great when they were new. I found the problem with these calipers is that you must use the emergency brake every time that you park. Those little pawls in there must rotate to adjust the brakes.

I live in Mexico and wanted to use my jeep before I could get to the states nd get new calipers, so I installed a set of Blazer front calipers. I will probably leave them on and try and build a disk parking brake on the T/C output.

Install them and use the parking break regularly.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

When I had a parking brake, I used it religiously, so I doubt that will be a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 07:53 PM

You mean CJs have a parking brake? I thought that pedal was just to exercise your clutch leg with. I still use it even though it has never worked!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 09:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
You mean CJs have a parking brake?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well no stock CJs with rear drum brakes don't really have a parking/emergency brake, none what so ever if the nose is higher than it's gas tank. Likely that the adjusters are mucked up and you don't have any back brakes at all, or the cables are full of crud and hanging up providing some serious wear to the shoes that dont's adjust but making the axle and wheel bearing hot......... damn, I'll stop this rant.

But if you do the rear disc with cable parking/emergency brake it will sit right where you put it until you come back. I find it much better than Jeep chasing, or board / brick / block / tree limb tossing in front of a tire. Actually it's a wonderful thing - rates close to sliced bread. Technology has come a long way since the CJs were designed and it's a good thing!!!

I have been told that the SSB rear disc kit is based on Caddy parts (caliper anyway)... don't know how to prove that or even where I got that idea. That's what's on my CJ7 and I'm not going back because it's just too good to be true.

Here's a couple of pics from when I did the SSB install a couple of years ago.

Note the parking / emergency brake cables were not hooked up yet..... the axle was not even under the Jeep at the time of the pics.

Not sure if this helps any but I'm having fun [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Good Luck

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode