CJ Transmission Mounts ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

CJ Transmission Mounts ?

The old Scrambler was making some clanking and banging sounds every time I pulled away from a stop light. The prior owner swapped an automatic in for the original manual and it looked to me like the transmission mount was not only loose but worn out. So I ordered a new polyurethane transmission mount and torque stud bushings. Installation wasn’t worth talking about but the result was…..

Now the darn thing has some serious vibration when in gear and stopped. Nothing mild about it you can make a milkshake by just sitting it in the console cup holder. I tried to loosen up the skid plate and transmission mount bolts then put it in gear to let it find the place it wants to be… no real help there, maybe it is slightly better (doesn’t matter if the bolts are tight or loose). When driven down the road it seems fine but sitting at a stop light it just drives me nuts.

I don’t think that the motor mounts are in very good shape either, seem a bit squishy but they don’t let the motor move in excess.

So here’s the question(s)….

1. Anyone have strange results when mixing original rubber and polyurethane mounts?
2. Would it be better to simply stick in one of the old rubber transmission mounts that I have somewhere in the garage?
3. Or get new polyurethane motor mounts?

Thoughts, suggestions and opinions requested, please. But no hurry since Grumpy doesn’t even get started every week.

Dale

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 11:07 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: CJ Transmission Mounts ?

1. Do it once,
2. Buy/install poly.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well OK........ Guess that's hard to argue with.

Kinda what I was thinking but I was wondering if anyone else had been there and done that. I really don't mind replacing the motor mounts too. But I will be double twisted if it gets worse.

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 07:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

After shreading two rubbber mounts after installing the T-18, I went Poly. Vibrations came along with it. I'm running the stock Rubber motor mounts too. If going poly MM would help rid of some of those vibrtions I don't know. But the way i look at it is, it's a 26 year old Truck, it's gonna stink, rattle and vibrate no matter what so I just ignore it and enjoy the fact that I have a reliable running CJ. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 07:35 AM
Can't Get Enough

I installed the poly tranny mount and couldn't be happier. I can't feel any new vibrations. I still have the old rubber motor mounts though. I just haven't had time to replace them yet.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 07:42 AM
Pooh-Bah

I have both sets of mounts in poly. I love them, but there is a little more vibration.
Where is your idle set with the automatic? Is it possible the engine is shaking more than it should when in drive? Does it do it in neutral?
I had "new" rubber motor mounts and tranny mount when I did my engine swap. I lunched my radiator and bent a motor mount the first time off road with it.
The shifter used to move about 3 or 4 inches to the right when in gear, now it moves maybe an inch. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 09:45 AM
Can't Get Enough

Thanks for the head's up guys!

I am installing the 258/TF999 this weekend in the 'family' Scrambler. I 'had' intended to go rubber motor mts/poly tranny mount to minimize vibration since this one would see very limited off-road use. (Plan was/is to use poly M/M & poly trany mt in 'trail' Jeep.)

However, after reading above thread, it seems I'm better of going poly/poly on both the family and the trail Scramblers, right?

Dang poly mounts are expensive though.... [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Pooh-Bah

I got my motor and tranny mounts together for about $50. Made by Energy Suspension.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Where is your idle set with the automatic? Is it possible the engine is shaking more than it should when in drive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Idle is around 650 or 700 when in gear and alittle higher in neutral or park. It could run smoother the carb is a rebuilt one that the prior owner installed himself and it could use some work.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Does it do it in neutral?

[/ QUOTE ]

No it is just as it was before when in neutral or park. Someone said you have to exspect some vibration, shake, rattle etc. etc. and I agree with that it's 20 years old.

But it's the difference before / after changing the mount what bothers me. There is a pretty dramatic change in the amount of vibration when sitting still while in drive, it wasn't real smooth before but now it's really annoying.

I don't like the way the skid plate is bolted up at this point so I will likely take it apart and pick at it some more. Can only get 5 of 6 bolts in since the middle ones are not slotted on the skid plate. Also needs some new bolts with washers and lock washers. See what happens when you try to do something half azz - you get to do it over and I hate that - oh well.

Toy funding is currently suspended by the CFO so those new motor mounts will have to wait.

Thanks to everyone that replied - additional comments welcomed and encouraged.

Dale
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 07:05 AM
2track

The poly mounts are much tougher than the rubber mounts,
but there is a trade off. They do not absorb engine vibration like a rubber mount. Take your pic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode