Puke-n-go and NP231 questions - FINISHED - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Puke-n-go and NP231 questions - FINISHED

Pulled my transfer case last night. Turns out I have the 231 instead of the 207. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Could have sworn I had looked at the tag at some point and it said 207. I'll be pulling it open this evening to replace the chain and do a general inspection.

What I am wondering is if anyone has any general advice on the 231 while I'm in it. Unfortunately, a SYE is out of the question financially (I'll be spending money on the new chain and possibly other wearable parts to go along with the upper and lower ball joints I just replaced). [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I'm also wondering if there is anything I can do to check on the health of my puke-n-go while I have (relatively) easy access to it. It's got 200K on it, but no problems out of it yet [knocks on wood]. On the same financial note, I can't do anything like replace it - as much as I'd like to. But I'm interested in any preventative maintenance or inspections I might do.

Thanks,
Darren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 12:20 PM

Re: Puke-n-go and NP231 questions (attn: Andy :-)

The only real things you can do are check the endplay of the trans (there really shouldn't be any) and any freeplay in the input shaft/output shaft. @ 200k you've gotten real lucky! Just keep your fingers crossed. My puke and go, before I swapped a t-150 in, had a countershaft bearing that was starting to go south. I knew it was the countershaft because the trans made all kinds of noise, but when it was in 4th, it was whisper quiet (power flow in 4th goes straight through the mainshaft, as it is a 1:1 gear ratio, so the countershaft bearing is taken out of the picture.) I also had a few missing teeth on my reverse gear, as it would make noise at the same place on each revolution.

When was the last time you changed the gear lube in the trans? It's essential to be vigilant about stuff like that with an older, light-duty trans...

I would start saving your pennies for an AX-15. Who knows, though, if it's made it 200k, it may make it 400k! [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so went to drain the BA10/5 and the drain plug is some friggin' SQUARE DRIVE that is between 1/4" and 3/8". [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] What in the world do I use on that?

Also, there is one of these plugs forward on the passenger side of the tranny that is not quite at the bottom... and another one on the back end of the tranny, facing the transfer case, slightly on driver's side, that I guess is really in the adapter - but is definitely at the bottom. Which one of these is the drain? I'm guessing the fill plug is on top and I just need to pull the shifter cover to get access?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Figured out it is actually a 10mm square key wrench that is supposed to go in there. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] The only thing I have found is a pair of KDTools socket wrenches online just for this purpose (8mm and 10mm). $16 for the pair and who knows where they'd have to ship 'em from. Guess I'll be going to the hardware store tomorrow to see if I can find some square section rod that is about the right size.

Anybody with any other ideas?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 10:48 PM
Old Hand

Could put a 2 low kit in it..
I just have hubs..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 05:58 AM
NIX
Keyboard Implanted

See this page .

I took a bolt and a grinder. I grinded the thread square to fit the hole. Put a wrench on the hex and you saved yourself $16,-...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Re: Puke-n-go and NP231 questions - UPDATE

Grinding a bolt worked great. Thanks! That was one of those "well crap, why didn't I think of that!"

Got the drain plug out and looks like gear oil came out. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] That would explain the reluctance to go into any gear before warmed up in the winter. So, a few new questions...

1) There is a vent to the passenger side and slightly rear of the shifter. Is this what I should use to fill?

2) Pretty sure that ATF (Dextron II) is what's really supposed to be in it. Anyone know how much? Is there a sight plug somewhere?

3) Should I use anything to "flush" it?

I got the transfer case completely apart and all the bearings, seals, and pump replaced. Now I'm waiting for Tuesday so I can get a new hi-low range shift fork. Mine was one of the aluminum ones with the pads built into the fork, and it's trashed. New pads were included in the kit, but they don't go on this fork. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Why does that fork wear so badly on one side? Is that something I can fix with some adjustment somewhere?

Thanks for all the help guys.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 06:27 PM

I'm pretty sure they take gear lube not atf, that's what the haynes manual says. Your 231 takes atf.

Pablo your puke and go had bad conter shaft and main shaft bearings when i pulled it apart along with missing teeth on the reverse gear. I put a reverse gear and bearings from another puke and go in and broke a main shaft bearing putting the cover back on. I put the rollers back into the bearing, put it into the cover instead of on the main shaft, tightened it back up and it survived 2 days of the badlands and some daily driving.

BarrelRoll
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 08:30 AM
NIX
Keyboard Implanted

The Pukemaster above is (of course) right about the oil (gearbox and TC). To fill the box up you use the hole at the passenger side of the box, it is the same style plug as the drain plug. Fill it up until it's level with the hole. I never flushed a gearbox. It's not really necessary, like an auto needs a flush form maintenance. Just look what comes out (No teeth, crud or sand =OK). Not sure what you mean by vent, as the Peugeot has one, with a small line that stops some where at the back of your starter (at least, at mine it does, but it's a cherokee).

The strange wear on the TC fork can be caused by a linkage problem. Instead of shifting right into gear and run freely, the fork continues pushing and wears out. My guess.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

The square hole plug on the forward passenger side of the box seems awfully low to be the fill hole. It just doesn't seem like that would put much oil in it.

I think you may be right about the fork wear issue. The PO put a transfer case drop kit in it to even out the drive line - which it did - but now I'm putting 2 and 2 together and realizing he may not have properly adjusted the linkage. The fork was worn out on the hi-range side, which could mean that the linkage is still pushing on the fork in 2HI (because of the drop kit). The only thing that makes me hesitant is the fact that the spring that goes behind the forks does push in that direction. But I guess in 2HI the spring would be extended and shouldn't be exerting much pressure.

Anyway... picked up my new shift fork this morning (with replaceable pads), so I'll be putting it back together and probably in the Jeep this evening. I'll be sure to take a good look at the linkage and see if I can adjust it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode