Dana 35 Axle Problems, Please Help!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 10:10 AM
douglee25

Dana 35 Axle Problems, Please Help!!

Hello everyone! I've been reading this board for a while now but I just registered today. I completed my 4.0 swap from a 92 wrangler to an 89 wrangler. While I had the 89 up on jack stands I saw that the drivers side rear tire literally comes out about 1/4" when you pull on it with your hands. The axle actually comes out if you get my drift. What is causing this? Is this a major concern now? I have the complete axle from the 92 that I could swap in. It has a brand new posi unit as well. My biggest concern about swapping in this other axle is whether or not the gear ratio will be identical to my front ratio. Is there anyway to tell without pulling the cover? Can you put the 92 axle and posi unit into this carrier or do I have to change all the bearings then too? (I was just thinking of trying to avoid unbolting the whole damn thing) I believe the 92 is a C-clip axle and the 89 is the bolt on. Please shed some light on this hazy subject! Thanks for your time.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Dana 35 Axle Problems, Please Help!!

Checking the ratio is pretty simple. Here is how I do it.
Put a piece of tape on the pinion. And another piece on the tire right at the bottom where it is touch the ground. I like duct tape, but any tape will work.
Now push the Jeep one full tire rotation, until the tape is back on the bottom near the ground. While you push the Jeep, count how many times the pinion spins.
A little more than 4 =4.1:1
About 3.75 = 3.73:1

If both your 35's are the same, then swap them.

OH, and WELCOME to the best Jeep board on the internet ! [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 01:35 PM

jack it up
pull the tire
pull the drum
the axle plate has four bolts. if they are lose then tighten them.

if not take them out.

you can then pull the whole axle shaft out. takes about 15 min start to finish.

take it to an axle shop and have a new bearing pressed on. my 9 inch was $80.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 06:14 AM
douglee25

Update:

So I pulled the axle out and sure enough, the axle bearing was shot. I installed a new bearing and outer seal and slapped it back together. There is no play in the axle anymore, but I still hear a vroom vroom sound while driving.

Edit:

Just so everyone has a good idea, here's the dilly on the axle play. The rear in the jeep right now is the stock 89 wrangler rear which does not have c-clips. The axle did have play from side to side but not radial play. When I got the axle out, the bearing literally moved side to side 1/4". The bearing was obviously cooked. There was no oil or residue on the brakes. They were dry and looking fine. On this axle, there was a shoulder when the new bearing was pressed on. No axle play is present now after I reinstalled it. I checked the oil previously and it was full. I also checked the axle play in both directions on the opposite side, and there was none. I am willing to bet that the other axle bearing is fine. I suppose I should still pull the cover and investigate a little further. The only things left are the carrier bearings and pinion bearing. How difficult is it to replace the pinion bearing while the axle is in the jeep if that ends up being the culprit? Thanks for your time.

Doug
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 07:01 AM

It's not likely that a "vroom vroom" sound is coming from the inside of the differential. Describe the sound better, and add specifics about when it occurs; certain speeds, accelerating or steady speed, proportional to speed, etc.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 07:09 AM
douglee25

The sound seems to happen at all speeds, but is especially heard at low speeds. It seems you may be able to hear it more on the deceleration side of things, which may lead me to believe the backlack isn't set right. The rear is stock though and I don't believe the gears were ever touched. The noise also happens in gear and in neutral, so that rules out the transmission. The noise is a low pitched growl kinda like the noise when you have knobby tires and run them on pavement. Any suggestions?

Doug
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 09:15 AM

This is a guess; this is only a guess. It sounds tire related to me. Could be that a belt wasn't exactly straight when the tire was made, could be that the belt was damaged by a pothole or big rock, could be that you have one tire with a different tread pattern or big difference in the amount of tread.

Differential noises are usually described as a whine, unless there are broken or severly damaged gear teeth in which case it's a crunch crunch sound.

Have a buddy sit in the back and listen for the source of the noise while you drive. Also try swapping tires on one side front to back. Then swap the other side front to back.

In the mid-70s belt problems were common at the Pontiac dealership where I worked. At low speeds, just above walking speed - you could hear a grunch grunch coming from one tire in synch with tire rotation. If the bad tire was on the front it could be felt pulling the steering wheel. For a while a big percentage of cars had at least one bad one, although they didn't show up for a few thousand miles. Finally the manufacturers worked the problems out, but a lot of tires were replaced before then.

Another possible cause would be a dragging, out of round brake drum, more of a whoosh whoosh. That should show up as a hot drum after a mile or two.

Really tough diagnosing a noise from its written description.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 01:15 PM
douglee25

The sound def isn't a whine. You may be right about it being tire related. I will look into that area when I get some free time. Thanks again!

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode