Would you buy a hybrid Wrangler? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Would you buy a hybrid Wrangler?

Just out of curiosity, if DC offered a new Hybrid TJ that wasn't much more money than a conventional one, would you buy it? Why or why not? Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 09:54 AM

Re: Would you buy a hybrid Wrangler?

Personally my view on Hybrids is this. Thus far they are all stupid looking. For instance the Toyota Prius and the Honda Insight are stupid looking!. As car manufactures start to bring out more vehicles that are normal looking that are hybrid the more I like them. I would probably by a Hyrib Wrangler as a daily driver.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 10:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I personally would not.
One of the many reasons that I like my jeeps as much as I do is because I understand them. When somthing goes wrong, I can usally tell right away what it is, and what the best way to go about fixing it is. And I enjoy working on them. It is a good feeling to drive something that you really know.
There is no way I would ever understand a electric Jeep. In fact one of my main goals in the project Jeep I am building now is to eliminate as much electric stuff as possible.
There is just somthing I love about a gas burning Jeep !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 11:14 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Only under one condition:[*]DC Sells Jeep back to a US owned company.
2. BUY American when every possible.
3. But YES, I would buy one.
4. I like electric vehicles...
5. Even Hybrids...
6. It brings out the Geek in me.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 11:21 AM

i would definetly buy a hybrid wrangler. i dont think that insights or prius' are ugly, per se, just not my style. the second a jeep comes out that can get 70mpg, i'll buy it as a DD and keep the CJ as a toy.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Addict

The local paper in my area ran a story about people converting their cars to run on vegetable oil. For $800 they would convert their diesel cars and trucks and stop at any restaurant, pick up the used oil and top 'er off. I'm not sure I'd want to run a daily driver that way, but I wouldn't mind if my CJ-7 were capable of it. I could wheel and make fries at the same time! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As far as a factory hybrid TJ goes, I would wait a few years to see how they work out.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 01:53 PM

the new ISA, and IMA are a pretty sweet setup.
no starter, no alternater, and regenative braking are nice features.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 02:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I definately would if the electric motors have enough torque at low speed and you can modify them for independent wheel drive. Think of the tight turns you could do by dragging or reversing one side while powering the other. A little computer control and you could have total control of each wheel! Think of the distance you could go on one tank of gas, no more jerry cans!

Of course Dave and Leve would figure some wicked anti-theft system with the amps from the batteries!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 02:35 PM
Can't Get Enough

Nope.

I have hard enough time trying to get smart enough to keep my CJ's running... [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] let alone trying to learn a whole new system and all the while not electrocute myself. [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img]

Besides... too much plastic in these new ones for me. I like the austere and steel (rusted as it may be [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) interior of the CJ...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 02:45 PM
Veteran

went through fireman's emergency response to hybrid vehicle crashes doohicky class. until they can come up with a better system for the cells i wouldn't get near one of those things. can't put em out with water, or AFFF (foam), about the only thing you can use on em is CO2 or one of the extinguishers for metallic fires. anything water based will result in really really bad stuff if any of the cases are cracked or exposed. can only cut on certain places on them without fear of frying yourself and each car is slightly different.

basically they tell the responders that if they approach a hybrid and its on fire stand back and protect the exposures if there is no one inside. if someone is inside, be really really careful whatever you do and say a prayer before you get started [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

unless they come up with a better system i say no way jose, i'm game for alternative fuel or some other way to get some decent mileage, but i don't trust those things in their current state.

-web
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode