Kinda OT - SBC manifold question. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Kinda OT - SBC manifold question.

Looking for some help!

My brother has an S-10 <nobr>pickup</nobr> with a 350 v-8. From driving without sufficient give in the exhaust system, the headers have been destroyed. Being short on cash, new son, and other issues, he needs to fix the <nobr>truck</nobr>. His option seems to be to go back to the stock exhaust manifold and use it. However, in these conversions, the only manifold that will work is an end dump design, (rather than the rams horn style). The problem is, the end dump was only found on heads that were built with a wider hole spacing to fit around the outlet. His heads don't have it. changing the head is not really an option, he just put a lot of money in these. New headers are a joke, at least anything he has looked at. Could he drill the cast and put in some type of boss to clamp the manifold down with? Could he redrill his head for the new bolt location? What are some alternatives?

Also, I don't believe anything is going to survive for long if the motor can rock, and the exhaust is trying to hold it. What do you put in an exhaust system to allow some movement, short of using the flexible tubing?

A simple view of what I am referring to is as follows

typical sbc head exhaust bolting .o. .oo. .o.

End dump manifold bolting lookes .o. .oo. .o .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 08:01 PM

Re: Kinda OT - SBC manifold question.

No good answer. I get this question asked at least once evey couple of weeks. (it is a popular swap) No one seems to have a cheap/easy answer. I know lots of guys running this combo and none of them have it answered either. Sorry for the "non" answer. But let me know if you figure it out. I would like to know just to answer everybody else. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Re: Kinda OT - SBC manifold question.

With the resourcefulness of everyone on this board, I would have thought this was a "50 different ways do it" type post. Dosn't anyone have any ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode