TF999 bleeding to death - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

TF999 bleeding to death

After reading the post a few weeks ago about changing auto tranny fluid, i started to think that the new fluid in my transmission of questionable upbringing could be the cause of some of my problems (shuddering under load mainly - doesn't really feel like slipping - it's still got some power, but shakes the jeep like you wouldn't believe)...the thing has been leaking a little bit for some time now...after retightening the pan bolts, it seemed to stop for a little while, then came back - the bolts were still snug...

I haven't driven it for about 3 days now...at that point, it was still a slow drip...today, as we were driving past it in the parking lot, my spot and the one next to mine looked like the Exxon Valdez had been by...i put a small aluminum camping bowl under the transmission to catch the fluid while we were out all day, and when we came home tonight, the dish was about half full - about 1-200 mL of fluid in 8 hours!!

anyone have any suggestions? i.e. maybe i tightened the bolts too much and crushed/split the gasket? if so, why a slow drip, then a sudden gush even when it hadn't been driven? could it be leaking somewhere else? also, what to do about the shuddering/slipping?

i'm getting to the point where i'm considering [GASP!] taking it in...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 07:00 AM

Re: TF999 bleeding to death

It's possible you had a leaky gasket to start with and then when you tightened the bolts, the gasket may have split. In the past when I redid my 999, the previous owner had tightened down the pan bolts so as to bend the flange at every bolt, which caused a bad seal. It leaked all the time. When I replaced it with a new pan and gasket, properly torqued, no leaking at all. I would start there, especially since you said that it slowed when you tightened the pan bolts at first.

If you replace the gasket, go to a Jeep dealer and get the new one. It is plastic with silicone sealing beads in it. Totally re-usable and seals perfect. Make sure that the sealing surfaces are TOTALLY clean and dry.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 11:50 PM

Concurr with previous post because if you get the gasket from Autozone it will be the cork one. Just so you know, the shuttering is more likely to be your pinion angle or a bad u-joint then your tranny. As long as power is getting to the wheels your tranny has done its job, vibe or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 08:14 AM
Old Hand

check where the shiftlinkange goes into the tranny that is where my is leaking it leaks slowly and when the weather warms up the fluid expans and leaks out more adn faster and check your tranny mount its probible junk if its been leaking onto it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 09:03 AM
Way Outta Control

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
check where the shiftlinkange goes into the tranny that is where my is leaking it leaks slowly and when the weather warms up the fluid expans and leaks out more adn faster and check your tranny mount its probible junk if its been leaking onto it.

[/ QUOTE ]1. Remove the ATF pan.
2. Remove the filter.
3. Remove the linkages.
4. Remove the valve-body.
5. Drive out the seal.
6. Install new seal.
7. Reinstall the valve-body.
8. Reinstall the linkage
9. Reinstall the filter.
10. Reinstall the ATF pan.
11. Refill the ATF.
12. You're done.
13. No more leak....
14. All for about $4 an,
15. About 2 hours work.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys...i'll be taking a peek in there tomorrow after work...i'll let you know how it turns out and if i can track down the leak...

i did go get the OEM tranny pan gasket at the dealer here - i was impressed with how much more substantial it seems than the cork POS that came with the filter kit...

leve, i presume that seal is a dealer item? also, i've never gone further into the transmission than the filter...you said to remove it first, then the linkages and the valve body - i'm guessing i get to these from the inside of the trans?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

AAAARRRGH! new gasket didn't do it...LEVE, i couldn't figure out exactly where it was you were talking about for the other seal, so i left well enough alone...it doesn't seem to be leaking from the area where the shift linkage goes into the transmission, though...it does, however "appear" like there is some fluid coming down the back...is there a seal there where the trans/xfer case mate? i say appear, because the stuff could have been blown around - after i changed the gasket last night, i checked for leaks, and none...drove it around the block a couple of times, and no leaks...took it for a boot across town for some shopping tonight, and after 25 minutes in the mall, there was a puddle about 8" in diameter under the POS...it was collecting in the skidplate/crossmember and draining down from that, so i'm figuring it's coming from somewhere behind the front edge of the skidplate...

anyone have some decent pics of one of these things (e.g. on a bench, from top, bottom, sides), and/or an exploded diagram? if so, could you email them to me please??

i am not having fun.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 08:53 PM
Way Outta Control

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
i couldn't figure out exactly where it was you were talking about for the other seal, so i left well enough alone.

[/ QUOTE ] 1. Note my reply,
2. It was pointed to OFFroadMUDpunk
3. So he could fix the shift shaft seal.</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
...is there a seal there where the trans/xfer case mate?

[/ QUOTE ]4. Yes, there is,<ul type="square">[*]There is no gasket,[*]Between the transfer case and the transmission.[*]Each depend on shaft seals.[/list]5. You need the transmission output shaft seal.
6. If it leaks...
7. It's gotta be replaced.
8. It's about 6 USD.
9. Exactly what picture do you want?
10. I've got one sitting in my driveway right now...
11. And 1 hour of sunlight left.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

i guess i got to this a bit too late for the pic tonight - thanks anyway leve...the whole thing's going to have to sit for about 6 weeks while i'm away in the field (leaving sunday)...sometime in mid-july i'll be back, so i'll take it to a buddy's garage, drop the crossmember and take a boo up under there...

as for the pics, if you could get one or two close ones from the top, front and rear, that would be great - just so i can get a look at the thing and have an idea of what i'm looking at...thanks!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 06:49 AM

LEVE, is this the seal you are speaking of? This is the back end of my 999 tranny where the t case bolts up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1312472-tranny6.jpg (35.8 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode