Scored free cutting torch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
MNT
Addict

Scored free cutting torch

I have recently come into a free oxy/aceteleyne cutting torch. THe torch is very old, and is not made anymore so I have to change it and the hoses. My question is safety related as I have not done any cutting in quite some time. When lighting and extinguishing the torch it is always A before O correct?

Second question, I have seen a number of torches that are "Victor Compatible" on ebay for pretty reasonable prices. Does anyone know anything about these?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 09:30 PM

Re: Scored free cutting torch

The A before O is right.
And as far as the ebay torches go.....I wouldn't bother. I think it's [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img].

I have never seen any generic torch use name brand parts. I you want a cheapie, you can get them from someplace like harbor frieght. They work fine. The problems start when you need parts like tips. Next to impossible to get. So IMHO if your looking for a "starter" kit......look at the(lower end) victor kits. They are really pretty cheap now. And you can get parts anywhere. (and they are not bad at all)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Actually MNT, there aren't many torches that cannot be serviced by a good welder supply shop. I did business with MODESTO WELDING PRODUCTS (209)527-0982 for a zillion years, and they repeatedly rebuilt regulators and cutting heads for me which were as old as the hills; stuff I came across in surplus yards in some cases. Torches are pretty durable and unless someone ran over it, the mixer and cutting head will probably just need a few o-rings. I have owned a lot of different torches, but by far my first love is the Victor Super Range. Just the right size and weight for all around use. All you need to have is a few different size tips to cover all applications. 00 for the little stuff 0 for medium and #2 for the master blaster. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

On the subject of torches. If you discount the price difference, is there a reason to use a O/A torch as apposed to a plazma? I can see the O/A being able to heat and a plazma won't just heat up a bolt...I can see a MAJOR price difference...but is there cutting proccess that a torch will do and a plazma won't?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 05:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] That is sort of like comparing a submachine gun to a long range rifle; each has it's place in a really "good" war. OR.....to speak to shop specifics more directly; it is like a power hack saw and an abrasive cut-off saw. EACH has it's strengths and best applications. Plasma cutters will slice material that is non-ferrous; they make neat cuts; and they cut with very little distortion on thin stuff. Plasma cutters will not enable you to roll under your Jeep and cut off a steering box bolt up inside the frame; nor will they let you drag the gun twenty feet into a junk school bus to torch out the two rear seats for use as your new living room couch. I've owned a torch since the late fifties and WOULD LIKE to have a plasma cutter, but cannot justify the price of the machine for what few jobs I have that I would actually have to do with it. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 07:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Good points, Dave. I've only been fabricating/cutting for a short while, have always had access to a plazma and have never used a torch. Interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode