OT- Calling all Marines - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

OT- Calling all Marines

Hey guys,

A friend of mine has applied to the Marine Corps, but the Marine Officer in charge of evaluating tattoos has postponed his acceptance citing the "hand rule" (?size of tattoo) until he can go through tatto removal surgery on his right arm. One of the reasons, he was told, is that he has tattoos on both sides of his forearm, and that is his saluting hand.

Has anyone heard of this, or can you give us any further info as his recruiter was not clear on the issue.

Thanks,
Mick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 01:53 PM
jcarcrew

Re: OT- Calling all Marines

Its true, but usually I thought you could get a waiver. I went through Marine boot camp with a guy who had a tatoo of an 8 ball on the back of his neck. You could see it in any uniform he wore. Must be a pretty vulgar tattoo if they wouldn't give him a waiver.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Must be a pretty vulgar tattoo if they wouldn't give him a waiver.

[/ QUOTE ]

jcarcrew,

It's actually not, on the inside of his forearm his name, Brian, is spelled out in Blue black letters, and on the outside, from inner elbow to wrist, is an thin-lined outline of a panther, again, blue black. It's not filled in with color, just an outline. Can he apply for a waiver, or is he out of luck and now has to join the Navy?

Mick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 02:01 PM
Can't Get Enough

I fwd'd your question to our command's sergeant major and asked if he could help us out... having never been 'in' recruiting, I have no idea myself. I'll post his answer when he gets back to me.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 02:04 PM
jcarcrew

Uh, I do not know since it has been 10 years since I joined the Marines. He may want to try another recruiter, or wait until after October 1st since the fiscal year ends then. They may have more demand for recruiting numbers and may give a waiver then.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hmm.. this is new to me also...I know I have several guys here that dont have a patch of natural color from wrist to elbow....I seriously doubt all that happened in the 1.5 years these guys have been in.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 02:52 PM
Mud in my Veins

Not to mention the folks I knew with "FTS" tatted on the bottom of their forearms (seen everytime they saluted).

Depending on *WHAT* his desired MOS is...I know the guys at 8th&amp;I, Embassy Guard, etc. couldn't have tats viewable below a short sleeve shirt length..

From what I saw 20 years ago, there were guys covered from head to toe within a year. The only issues I ever saw were a ban on tats from HongKong (maybe other places too?) due to questionable sterile conditions/use of bamboo needles/etc.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I fwd'd your question to our command's sergeant major and asked if he could help us out... having never been 'in' recruiting, I have no idea myself. I'll post his answer when he gets back to me.

R/S MarineOpLaw

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks much, Brian's a good kid and his dad was very proud (having been in the corps himself). Any info would be helpful.

Mick

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Veteran

heck out STA platoon out in cali looked like a biker gang [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

remember EVRYTHING is waiverable if you can find a recruiter who is willing to do a little work for someone who has the desire. I'd find another recruiter.

-web
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Can't Get Enough

Here's the reply from the Sgt Maj:

"Just a few motivating words from your Sergeant Major. ALMAR 194/96 and MCO P1020.34 are the regulations pertaining to Tattoos. Now there was a proposed draft Feb 02 that further define the regulations for Tattoos however I don't know if that policy was ever implemented. That draft talks about excessive tattoos which is define as when the combined tattoo coverage on a particular body part, i.e. leg or an arm, exceeds one-quarter of the respective body part's exposed surface area while the Marine wears the standard physical training uniform, per paragraph 2008. Individual tattoos exposed by the uniform will be no larger in size that the wear's hand with fingers extended and joined with the thumb touching the base of the index finger. Tattoos visible above the collarbone in the front and above the first cervical vertebrae in the back, or are otherwise visible due to the open collar of the short sleeve khaki shirt, are prohibited."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode