OT-NEW TOW VEHICAL - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 06:23 AM
BogDogJim

OT-NEW TOW VEHICAL

I bought a 1978 <nobr>Dodge</nobr> Station wagon with a 318 V8 to use a a tow vehical for my <nobr>jeep</nobr>. $500. Another buddy is selling me his trailer for $500 also.
Any thoughts on if that station wagon will be a good tow vehical?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1277749-IM001001.JPG (66.2 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 06:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OT-NEW TOW VEHICAL

If it's heavy enough, you spring the rear, add a big tranny cooler (if it's an automatic) it should be OK. I know the 318 is an excellent torquey engine and very good for towing. It's not going to tow like a big block, but for the price, it may be worth the extra few minutes for climbing the grades! Geezzz... some the guys I know spent $45,000 for their tow vehicle!! Let's see... at $500 you could buy 90 Dodge wagons... if you wore one out every 6 months, you could go about 45 years!! I think that's about how long my buddy financed his new tow vehicle!! TJMHO.
Gnarls.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 07:06 AM
BogDogJim

The only problem I see with it is it has a "lean burn" carb. I opened the hood and it is a single barrel carb!!
!
I'll post more once I tow the jeep the first time.
The jeep weighs approx 2700lbs and the wagon weighs approx 3500lbs to 4000lbs.
I heard somewhere that the towing vehical has to weigh more than the vehical being towed. Is this true and if so what are the requirements?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 08:50 AM
Can't Get Enough

Yea, right. Did you notice the kenworth parked at the truck stop? Do you think it weighs more than its trailer?

What you need is to properly equipe the tow vehicle. If you plan on flat towing, YES, the vehicle should weigh more that the trailer just to keep from being pushed around. If, however, you trailer the jeep, equipe the car and trailer with an equilizer hitch, brakes, and have at it. Not sure, but make sure that "tow vehicle" does NOT have unibody construction. You need a solid frame for hitch mounting.

When I was younger, I towed a 5000# camp trailer about 20,000 miles over 4 years with a 3200# plymouth fury with the 383. Great tow vehicle!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 09:46 AM

Back in the day, using cars (generally Caddys or Lincolns) was the big thing for towing airstream trailers. A buddy had a 68 Pontiac Vista Cruiser (389) that he towed stuff with all the time. Nice thing about a car for highway towing is a lower center of gravity and less "sail area" when you go over passes with high winds.

Stopping is always the problem with any tow vehicle. Put trailer brakes on the trailer and a controller in the car. That along with the equalizer hitch already mentioned will do worlds of good.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 12:22 AM

Really, you can't tow a jeep with a unibody tow rig? Then what's with all these people towing the zj's and wj's? I personally tow my rig with an f150 and will probably always tow with a pick up but i have towed my tj with an xj and it worked alright.

That's an interesting tow rig, i've always wanted to make a 4 wheel drive 3/4 ton station wagon as a tow rig, how cool would that be, make the back top removable so you can tow a gooseneck. I'd say throw a trans cooler on, maybe some helper springs or add a leafts and call it good till something breaks. One thing i would do for sure is put a trailer brake controler in it and make sure your trailer has brakes on both axles. I know i'd have a real hard time stopping my f150 with the jeep in tow if my trailer didn't have brakes. I can usually turn up my brakes up enough so that my trailer will stop my truck. You think your jeep is 2700 pounds, add atleast 1200 pounds for the trailer, and another 100-500 pounds for things like trail spares, tools, spare tires, and other things you bring along.

BarrelRoll
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 06:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

That looks like a great tow rig. You are really going to get some looks pulling you jeep down the road with that thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode