Off Roading Forums banner

TJ won't fire ..anyone???

545 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  z50k2 
#1 ·
TJ won\'t fire ..anyone???

I just picked up a wrecked '97 TJ (6cyl auto). The engine turns over, but won't fire. Also, the volt guage and fuel guage don't work either. Not sure if they are related, but something to consider. I did check voltage to the coil and there is none.The airbags did deploy, and I wonder if there is a reset, or something to do after this has happened. I will probably get someone with an OBDII to check it, but I also wonder if there is a way to do this without the engine running???
Any help is appreciated...
Thanks, Ricky...seeya...

#4 ·
Re: TJ won\'t fire ..anyone???

Funny, but the check engine light doesn't come on. I know it works, because I did the test to make sure everything on the dash works, and it does..
BTW the test is: Hold the odometer reset button while turning on the ign, then let go. the guages will go into a test mode.
Any other ideas?
Thanks, Ricky..

#6 ·

just wondering if the TJ's are equipped with the fuel pump shutoff relay like most newer cars have. i know they are so sensitive in the Crown Vics that somtimes your car will shut off going down the highway on a grooved shoulder (wake up marks).

dunno, just a thought

-web

#8 ·

The fuel pump sender can break off in the tank give you all kinds of issues, i know i when my wire going to the fuel sender was disconected i had all kinds of issues. I'm pretty sure my tj had those issues, you could get it to start but it would take a good minuet or 2 to get it to start.

#9 ·

Thanks all for the replys.. Still no action. I have a buddy coming over Thursday night to hook up his diagnostic computer to the OBDII. I also hear the computers can be re-flashed..(as long as they aren't fried)
We'll see.
Ricky...seeya...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.