Warn Hub conversion blew,...well, just the hublock - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Warn Hub conversion blew,...well, just the hublock

And all I was doing was backing up. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I went to the local wheeling spot, which sucks, went really to just let Raven watch the four-wheelers play,...well, I went up this little ledge, then I was backing up to turn around, and kapow......I thought, that sucks, wonder what it was, looked down and saw some freshly broken metal gleaming in the sand. Called Warn this morning and they are shipping me out a new one. I guess it was a good thing that I didn't go to Tellico this weekend [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Old Hand

Re: Warn Hub conversion blew,...well, just the hublock

is that the 5 on 4-1/2 or did you go up to 5 on 5-1/2? Ive heard that these hub conversions are weak and that the larger one may be a bit better. I wonder how much truth there is to that. Ive been thinking about doing one of these conversions myself but dont want to if im going to be blowing hubs left and right. Maybe i'll just pocket the $$$$ and start saving for a larger front that comes with stock hubs.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 09:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Rich, if you are thinking of getting a spare, I'd look at the older ecplorers and rangers.. they have the right bolt pattern and the hubs look a lot like that.. close enough where I think I could come up with a junk yard hub conversion if I wanted....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

It's the 5x4.5 and it's been on the jeep for nearly three years, so it was due to give out.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Rich, if you are thinking of getting a spare, I'd look at the older ecplorers and rangers.. they have the right bolt pattern and the hubs look a lot like that.. close enough where I think I could come up with a junk yard hub conversion if I wanted....

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I'm not looking at spares, I probably have one, maybe two more trips that I'll be doing, then it's off to Oki,....once I return, I'm going one tons, should have enough saved up in the Jeep fund for some Dynatrac specials [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I really don't know why the ranger hubs wouldn't work, I do know that the part numbers are different, so something in there may be different.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 11:39 AM
Journeyman

Different spline count on the ford hubs.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 07:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

if the only difference is the spline count, they would make excellent trail spares as the part with the splines rarely breaks....thanks for the info, mudman!
I wonder if warn would sell just that little collar with the splines?????
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 12:05 AM

Your wheeling with a dana 30 on 37's, stuff breaks on occasion, if you havn't broken anything else your pretty luck, i'm thinking i'm going to be pushing my dana 30 with 36's.

The differance between the 2 hub conversions as i understand it is the 5x5.5 conversion uses standard warn hubs for a dana 44 (or ones very similar, i'm not sure if d30 outers and d44 outers have the same spline counts). To get the rear to have the same bolt pattern spidertrax sells 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 spacers (just make sure the lug nuts are tight, i know mine would loosen up and i trashed a wheel and some studs) though then your rear will be a little wider though i'm sure they would sell you some spacers to make your front be the same width as your rear.

BarrelRoll
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 01:10 AM
Official Historian

Re: Warn Hub conversion blew,...well, just the hub

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
though then your rear will be a little wider

[/ QUOTE ]

Something wrong with wide rears? [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Yep, been wheelin 37's on a D30 for two years, Ricky, elusive, jeepgod and a few others will tell you that I follow the big boys just about every where they go. Only recently have I had any problems, last monthI blew a lock-rite, and u-joint which took the ears off of my alloy inner shaft, and now this hublock decides to blow.

And depending on the thickness of the Spidertrax spacers, it might just even out the stance. The hub conversion adds 3/4" to each side, if memory serves correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode