Servicing a Model 20 Rear axle question? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Servicing a Model 20 Rear axle question?

Ok... My brother in law has an 84 CJ7 that still has the model 20 rear. He recently wrecked his axle. He is really tight on money right now and he was able to get a model 20 with matching gears for next to nothing but it needs to be serviced. It needs a pinion seal for sure. He would like to replace all of the seals and the (outer?) bearings. These bearings are pressed in correct? So they would need to be pressed out and the new ones in. Out side of this is there any other specialty tools I might need or issues I should be aware of before I help him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Servicing a Model 20 Rear axle question?

Pinion Seal is like any other Pinion seal. some say you should replace the Crush sleeve everytime to pull the pinion nut, but I know of those who have measured how much torque it took to break the pinion nut loose and retightened it to the same specs.. and been fine.

axle bearings and seals... yes the axle bearings are pressed on. you can pull the hub to get to the outer seals, but I'd advise against that. I'd pull the whole shaft, cut/bust the old bearings off (After checking to see if they even need to be replaced) and pull everytthing off the diff end of the shaft. you start messing with the splined hub, and you're liable to only start more problems.

Actually, if it was me, I'd toss some One piece axles in tehre for $200.. comes with bearings and inner and outer shaft seals not to mention one piece shafts. you mihgt check with Ricky on this board. He's an Omix dealer (check the For sale thread) and they have some one piece axles. that's what in my AMC20 and they're holding up great.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 04:06 PM

Nothing special about the jobs. They're all pretty easy if you have a press. Any of the shop books have instructions. If you run into trouble there are plenty of guys here who will help.

But FWIW I wouldn't mess with any of it unless a seal is leaking or a bearing growling. They're not much harder to deal with when the axel is installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Cool thanks guys!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 12:00 AM

Check the manual first , I believe the M 20 needs to have a pre torque first before removing the nut.
I was too lazy to replace the one in my daughters mustang and it cost us $ 900.00 for a new R&P cause the guy, (supposedly a mechanic) who did it just hammered it on with his Impact gun....RTFM also applies to jeeps sometimes. Unless you like shelling out money for stuff you don't need to.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 07:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

am I the only one that hasn't had any problems with their AMC20 after crushing the crush sleeve with a n impact gun? [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

we started with the breaker bar and all that jazz, ended up putting the impact gun on it, and it took quite a bit to crush that sleeve. I guess maybe we stopped at just the right point?

The guy that did it for me is a damn good mechanic and I'd trust him with anything on any of my vehicles, I think WHTRASH and CAVER can vouch for that.

not trying to take the offensive, just interested in the different processes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode