t-14 synchro and oil ? or when it rains it pours - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
JCP
Journeyman

t-14 synchro and oil ? or when it rains it pours

OK after fixing a bunch of stuff on the old jeepster incluning a valve job and pined head per leve's instruction I finally got the Jeepster on the road (71' 22d v6 manual t14). It turns out the synchros must be a little worn as it would grind trying to down shift from 3rd to 2nd. The fluid was low so I trhought a heaver oil would help. I put in 85w-140 with about 30% lucus oil stabalizer which is very thick and sticky... And that made it a lot worse; it still up shifts ok but won't down shift into 2nd or now even first very well. I would like to drive it before a tranny rebuild/replacement and have spent too much already.

Besides going back to 80-90 weight, would even a lighter oil help or even ATF? If I do rebuild, is it likly I can get away with just blocking rings or does one usually replace the whole sychro assemblies ( mucho$) also its noisy decelerating in first, a bearing maybe?

Any good low dollar ideas and any advice is appreaciated

JCP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 04:38 AM
Journeyman

Re: t-14 synchro and oil ? or when it rains it pours

My '75 came with a T-15 with bad synchros. Drove it that way for 6 months or so with no problems, just learn to double clutch [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

I tried the heavy oil too, no help. The synchros on the -14 and -15 are a cone shape that the blocking ring rides on, so maybe you will be able to just replace the blocking ring. The ring is some brass alloy, while the cone/gear is steel, so I would think the ring will wear before the cone/gear. I opted for a T-18 swap, so I can't give you any direct experience on what would fix the synchros.

If you would like I can send some pics of the insides of the T-15. I also have the factory service manual for '72 in pdf format if you would like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode