OT-I'm having a Garand time! (and regressing...) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

OT-I\'m having a Garand time! (and regressing...)

A quick snap of the new toy [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] I picked up at a gunshow the other day. Considering I already own a Springfield 1911A1 (highly modified) and a Early Model CJ5, I think the purchase of a M-1 Garand (I passed on the bayonet--for now!) means I'm regressing to WWII! Or at least Korea since this rifle has a 1953 H&R reciever!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1277034-garan2.jpg (20.1 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: OT-I\'m having a Garand time! (and regressing...)

[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
S-w-w-e-e-e-e-t-t-t! [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]

Congratulations on your new acquisition! I love those rifles! I picked one up about 15 years ago from DCM. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Unfortunately, have it in storage back home and do not get to shoot it very often. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I had to have one b/c my dad was in WWII and I wanted to have what I suspected he carried. (I also have the M-1 Carbine too!)

Again, congrats on your new rifle. Thanks for sharing it w/ your Jeep brethren! [img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Veteran

Re: OT-I\'m having a Garand time! (and regressing.

need one o' them for each room in the house [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

we used to go out to the BLM lands in Cali and hunt yotes with them at about 500 m to keep our skills up, man i miss those days [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

nice find [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-web
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 06:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Well.......what are you waiting for? Take the rifle and go out and get yourself a nice case of "M-1 Thumb" [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Heh heh heh.......I'm chuckling to cover my absolute envy at your having what I have been wanting fer quite a while. So far I haven't got the cash and the opportunity curves to both peak at the same instant. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Blam-blam-blam-blam, blam-blam-blam-blam, CHING!!!!!!! Yep....it's an M-1 all right. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 06:44 PM
Can't Get Enough

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Blam-blam-blam-blam, blam-blam-blam-blam, CHING!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup CJDave... that's the mystique of the Garand - the "CHING"!

The most romantic of mechnical sounds [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 07:22 PM

I am Sooooooooooooooo <font color="green"> JEALOUS </font color> [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. I have always wanted one. And it pains me in a way that I never got to get a nice one for my dad before he died. He was not one to talk alot about war. But he did love that gun and was not hesitant to tell anyone. As a frontline radioman in korea and a proud marine with a chest full of colors including purple.....I know it was a great gun.

now on the other hand OP........he hated the carbine. Said it jammed with a wet sneeze. (I don't think he would have used it for a tomato stake that he could have been sure of to hear him talk. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

Anyway.......I will have one some day. I know that they are great guns. And I want one just to remember my dads favorite arm [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

(but also on a side note he hated the 45 1911......and I love it) [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

OP-I've looked at the CMP Garands before, but it's a bit tougher in Alaska to get one! That time and opportunity thing! My grand-dad carried a Garand on Okinawa and a couple other islands during WWII. Could be a bit of the reason I've always wanted one! I don't know about the "Ching" being romantic, but I sure do like the sound of it!

Web--I've got the other rooms covered with some other toys (including a .458 Lott that might qualify as light artillery!). Fortunately the wife understands! Hunting Yotes at those distances with a Garand sounds like a STACK of fun!

CJDave--My dad has talked about M-1 thumb since I was a kid (that is what they issued for training when he was first in the Navy). Between that and having previously owned a M-14 (a cheap chinese copy [polytech] that I got rid of fairly quickly after comparing it to my father's Springfield!) I KNOW I'm gonna get bit, it's just a matter of WHEN! LOL! I know what you mean about cash and opportunity. I've been looking for several years, and finally decided that since I never shot my 29-2 anymore (I carry a stainless 629-1 in the brush) and just happened to have a little bonus money in the pocket I would go to the gunshow. And it happened!

DD--I understand EXACTLY what you are saying! I'm looking forward to taking my dad out to play with this together. He can remember his dad (died in 1999) and his own time in the Navy. He was with me when I picked this up at the gunshow. When we got home he did an impromptu demonstration of a Navy phsyical drill with the M-1, and did a little of the "Queen Anne Salute" something I remember him showing me as a kid!

If you guys are interested, here are a couple of neat M-1 Garand links:

M-1 Garand Feeding Animation

M-1 Garand BBS

The Garand Collectors Association

Surplus Rifle Dot Com Garand BBS

Ya'll have a GARAND day! And thanks!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 09:53 PM

We spun poly de-mil M-1s in my High-School JROTC. I can't own a real one or I'd be way too tempted to do "exibition armed" with it [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] However... at work (as a Janitor) I spin a mean broom [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 09:54 PM
Can't Get Enough

[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]Hey, thanks for the links - especially, the feeding animation. That's so cool! [img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]

Dirt Dog: Next time I get home, I'll grab my M-1 and head down your way. We can spend the day busting 30-06 and .45acp caps. How 'bout it? Maybe I'll bring the carbine too and then we can [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] it just like your Dad used to... [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 02:23 AM
NIX
Keyboard Implanted

I know this thing only from running the 100 and 1000 meters militairy sportstest. I can still feel the bruised kidneys from the triggergroup, as we used to tie these things to our bodies, running the snot out of ourselves. The complete mechanism was welded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode