JEEP DIES AFTER WARM UP NEED HELP!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 07:40 AM
TXCJ5

JEEP DIES AFTER WARM UP NEED HELP!!!

ok fist off lets get this out of the way, it is a Chevy 350 5.7 4 bl with an auto transmition

Ok this started after I was able to get my idle problem fixed, happens only when engine has been running and getting up to normal temp, 180 to 195, but lets start from this morning, started her up and let her warm up took off everything was running great idled great when warming up when under pressure and sitting at a light she ran great without any problems, but about almost into the parking lot sitting at a light she was having trouble, so I popped her in to neutral and she picked right back up, light turned and I put her into gear and took off, now got into the parking lot and as I'm backing into the spot she died, started her back up and WOW, nice back fire. Didn't bother putting her in gear was already in spot and running late as is,

Second thing, replaced carb brand new, brand new engine coil, brand new 180 degree thermostat, changed coolant 65/45 (water/coolant), after this I have now idea what to do please help,

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 10:04 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: JEEP DIES AFTER WARM UP NEED HELP!!!

What kind of choke is on the new carb? Is it working correctly? Backfire usually means unburnt fuel is igniting in the exhaust system (unless it's backfiring through the carb). If your choke isn't opening up as the engine warms up, it can create a rich condition, causing the bad idle and backfire. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 10:08 AM
cj7ted

Fuel filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I Second Ted, Fuel Filter.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 10:36 AM
TXCJ5

I have the choke coil, and it seems to be working just fine, when the engine warms up it keeps the butterfly open to allow the right amount of air in, would it hurt anything if after i got the jeep started to drive home without the choke coil hooked up, and see if that makes any change, i am just stumped

I have checked for vacuum leaks and cant find any, the fuel filter is brand new,

i can useally watch my my oil pressure gauge, and when it is running good i can keep it about 40 psi sitting at a light a soon as it is hurting it drops to about 20 psi, and that is when it has trouble keeping up

again i am lost at where to go from here, i cant think of what to do next, i am sure that it is a minor fix but cant figure it out

Joe
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 01:20 PM
TXCJ5

I was wonder if at by any chance that it could be the fuel pump, while under pressure it can not supply the carb with enough gas, and while in nuetral it can, this is just a thought that ran through my mind,

Please help, I have no idea where to start fixing this problem, I have tried everything that i could think of,

Joe
[img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 04:34 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Second thing, replaced carb brand new, brand new engine coil, brand new 180 degree thermostat, changed coolant 65/45 (water/coolant), after this I have now idea what to do please help,

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to ask this!!!!!!!!!!!
Was the above work done before or after the problem?
The carb could be loading up at idle. I wouldn't think the fuel filter would be the issue if you take it out of gear and it clears up.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 04:40 PM
TXCJ5

The carb was replpaced after the problem, It was acting up, and since the carb was causeing a few other problems, I did not think that rebuilding it for a second time was going to clear up, i figured i would start fresh,

I did not think it was the fuel filter either. but the problem is still there and i have no idea how to fix it

Joe
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Have you had a vacuum gauge on it? What did it tell you?

Where did it backfire? Intake or exhaust? Or could you tell?

I'd look for a vacuum leak and check the timing.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 09:01 PM
Way Outta Control

I have to assume you've tried turning the idle mixture screws properly.

What kind of carb?

Step 1 - check to make sure the EGR Valve doesn't have vacuum on it at idle. You replaced the carb, could have got the hoses mixed.

In gear there's a little more load on the engine, and it's slower - suspect lean condition since it dies easily hot.

2 - Get it hot to the point it won't run in gear, choke the carb off a little at a time with your hand or a CLEAN rag.
If the R's increase or at least it smooths out, it's lean.
You might want to get someone to help - so you can try that test "in gear" without getting run over. (Embarrassing when it drives over your foot - and painful.)
Let us know what it does.

A. If it is lean, spray some BURNABLE carb cleaner around the likely spots, carb base, manifold gaskets and Tees, including brake booster. Dribble a few drops down the carb to test the carb cleaner- if it "likes it" it's burnable. Most carb cleaners won't react - Gumout seems to work, but there is better. Or use starting fluid - but be careful - it flashes easy. If little or no reaction takes place you might as well "bark at the moon" - it's not going to find the trouble! It has to burn like gasoline in the engine.
B. If holding your hand over the carb did not help, - it didn't "like" it, then look elsewhere.
3. Disconnect the vacuum advance - make sure it's timed properly with the advance disconnected. If fact, test drive it with the advance hose plugged. It will not hurt anything - see if it helps. Timing way off can create your symptoms.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode