O/T dryer heater element replacement? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

O/T dryer heater element replacement?

Ok, for starters I have never worked on any kind of appliance before,so this will be a new experience for me if I do it. A friend of mine has a hotpoint dryer that doesn't get hot any more. would this be the heater element,and how hard is it to replace? I have the model# and looked it up on the GE website,but the model #'s listed on the website didn't go back that far. will it be hard to find parts for this dryer? thanks for any advice,Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 03:36 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: O/T dryer heater element replacement?

If we're talking electric here, I'm pretty sure we are, it will look like a scren door spring. They can be a bit of pain to get to. But you can do it. Hey, it's broke, so what's the loss. Remember, "No guts, no glory".
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Dryer heater element repair,
2. Is the easiest thing on God's Green earth,
3. You pull the back,
4. You take out the old one,
5 You put in the new one,
6. You replace the back.
7. It's so easy my daughters can do it (and have)....
8. You'll do fine.
9. Find an appliance store in your area that sells parts,
10. They'll have a replacement....
11. It's gonna cost ya!
12. 25 to 35 bucks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2004, 08:32 PM

Grab a Multimeter and check the coil for continuity. You should be able to see it is broken, but the meter won't lie. I have had some trouble with driers before and it has been related to the thermostats and thremal fuses. These are a bit cheaper than the coil and pretty easy to check with the meter. There should be a wiring diagram somewhere on the drier that you can look at and figure things out.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 06:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I HAVE been known to repair a broken heating element using a small SPLIT-BOLT CONNECTOR like we use to splice wires. Heck, when it's a Saturday afternoon and the single mom across the street has a mountain of wet laundry, why NOT be the big hero? Right? That was when I was "between wives". [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

ok,stupid question time. Is it possible I would have to pull the drum off the dryer to get to the element? everybody I have talked to says I can take the back of the dryer off and get to it that way,but the back of this dryer is one piece with the sides,and the front comes off [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] The top comes off,and i found where the element is,but it is behind the drum,no way to get it out with the drum there.If i do need to remove the drum, I probably will just assist her in getting a new one or a good used one. she only paid $25 for this one anyhow. She will be upset because everytime I "loan" her the money and she pays it back, it always ends up back in her checking account somehow [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]...thanks,Ben
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Way Outta Control

1. It's possible,
2. But usually it drops out easily,
3. Will it come out the bottom?
4. What is the make / model number?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 10:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Our last dryer that I had to service the drum had to be removed. Just as you describe the back is one piece. That was for the bearing/bushing mount.

Man I replaced that element three times and the bearing twice. When the kids came along my wife had a philosphy of it it hit the floor ...it got washed. She had a career in washing and drying.

Anyway the unit I had the drum covered the element. Now I've seen some that have a seperate ducted (coil in a tube) heating elements. I replaced it so many times that I kept leaving more and more sheet metal screws off. By the time we junked it ...I had a zipper on it.

If you have need to repair a spade terminal on the dryer element DON'T USE ALUMINUM PARTS. You will come back to find the wire a mere few milmeters from the connection burnt and probably open. .

I believe that the "top" of your dryer will "pry" up. You will then have access to the fasteners that hold the front on. The rim in the front supports the drum. In my case, the drum had a ball that sat in a nylon bearing surface in the back. I slight lifting of the drum allowed removal. (You will see a belt going around the drum. This will need to be removed from the motor drive/tensioner before you can pull the drum. This is accessed at the back-lower access panel) This will expose the faulty element. You fish the new element through the ceramic insulators trying to make it "even" in distribution. Stretching of the element was always required.

Good luck ..you'll have saved yourself a decent amount of money and will be renewed in your position of hero [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

LEVE....the make is HOTPOINT the model # is DLB1200LCLHT serial #GN215504H I looked at some parts places online,and they didn't list this model #. I have checked several times to make sure I wrote it down right

GeeAea...thanks for the pointers,they will come in handy if I decide to fix it instead of replace it
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 09:24 PM

It is common to have the front of the drier removable. Of the two I have fixed, one had the top hinged, all you had to do was pull up pretty hard on it and it would pop. The other had a removable front. There were two screws on the front, very low on the front panel. They are ar the small bent in the metal, about 4-6 inches from the bottom, angled downward. You cant really see them without getting down on the floor and looing at the very bottom of the front panel. This element was on the bottom of the drier, right side when facing it. Easy to get out with the front off.

For some tips, try searching for DIY appliance repair sites. There are quite a few with good tips on getting to these things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode