Need opinions on TSL Radials - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Need opinions on TSL Radials

I have the opportunity to get a great deal on a set of rims and tires. The tires are the 33x10.5R15 TSL Radials. I'll be using them as trail-only tires, so the Radial aspect worries me. How tough are these tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 05:26 PM
jcarcrew

Re: Need opinions on TSL Radials

I have had mine for about a year. They were used when I bought them, and they still show very little wear and almost no damage. They flex great and once they warm up, they are decent on the road. Lots and lots of traction in everything I have driven in. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 08:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The TSL is a great tire. I have them on my YJ and I used it as a daily driver for a year and a half with 33X12.5 TSL. I liked them a lot. And was never disapointed with them on the road. They really tear loose off road. Just an all around great tire in my opinion. And with a Jeep being so light, the wear is pretty good. I was very suprised at how they lasted. I would advise anyone to run TSL's if they use their truck/Jeep off road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Olin 18, The TSLs you ran were the radial version and not the bias-ply version, correct? I'll be running them on a J10, which is considerably heavier than a YJ, though I'll be using them off-road only and getting a pair of 33x9.5R15 BFG ATs for street use.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 04:01 PM
Old Hand

Hey dude, I missed you on AIM.. if you wanna talk about Radials msg me again..

I just started running radials, in fact I run radials up front nad bias in the rear right now while I`m doing some tire shuffling..

The radial compound is NOT near as soft as the bias, I don't think the radial will hookup near as much on the rocks as the bias do.

[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 07:16 PM

I'm running that exact same size on my '8 and LOVE them! They are amazing in the mud, and handle fine on the road. I think the skinnier tire works better on and off the road with the lighter weight of the Jeep, and I don't have any steering wander from them. I heard that the radials have a somehwat weaker sidewall than the bias ones, but I've rubbed mine against rocks and roots and have not had a sidewall failure yet. Plus they're pretty quiet on the road. I'd recommend them! And when these wear out, I'll get another set of the same.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 08:58 PM

What are you trying to compair them against Brian?

They are great tires compaired to most radials(against M/T's) offroad. Maybe not as great as some on road.

But still not as good offraod as some of their other offerings.

Yes it's a good tire and you will probally like it off the pavement unless you just peeled off boggers or sx's. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

I'm comparing them to bias-ply tires. I know they'll work well enough off-road, but I am concerned with their ability to handle saw-palmettos, mostly.
They will be run on the J-10, which can take 33x10.5" tires at stock-hieght. I'll probably put a little 2" lift on the truck in the future, but it's not going to see hard-core 4-wheeling while I own it. A lot of Ocala, some Uwharrie, Tellico trails 4 & 5, etc. But nothing real hard-core.

Thanks for the opinions, everyone- I guess I'll be buying them after all.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Almeek69

what kind of miles should i exspect from these tires? probley 75%of time on road I have a 87 cherokee
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 01:12 PM

I've had three sets of Swamper Radials, and one set of Swamper bias plies. The first two radial sets where 32x10:50's, I ran those on my '84 CJ-7, I loved them, not as good on road as what I replaced them with, Goodyear Wrangler Mt's, but I felt they where better off road (Pipeline=mud) I currently have a set of 31x9:50 Swamper Radials that I use on my Tacoma until the Jeeps done, then they'll be going on the daughters Wrangler. The 9:50's really bite, typical pizza cutter! I think you'll be happy with them! When I wear out the MT/R's on my CJ I may go back to a radial Swamper, possibly the SSR. Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode