Is This a good deal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 06:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is This a good deal

i am looking for somthing to go mudding in and a friend of mine said that his girlfriends parents were selling a cj-5. so i go and look at it, It has exceptional paint, a 3 inch lift 33 inch tires( new ) full size spare. it has the top and doors good interior, no body rust that io could see, no frame rust that i could see, nice wheels, custom roll cage, winch front and rear offroad bumpers, and a freshly rebuild 304 v8, 3 speed manual with ne cluth and new radiator. is this a good deal or what. i wasn;t sure about 5000 dollars but tehy told me when they list it they were going to do it for 6000 and go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 07:01 PM

Re: Is This a good deal

An old Jeep is worth what somebody is willing to pay. If it's really as you describe, I would think that it could bring that much in the midwest, where there are almost no rust-free unrestored CJs.

Knowing the year would make a difference. In '76 they did a major revision, and there are a lot of aftermarket parts that are only available for the later models.

Rust is a major concern. There are quite a few detailed posts on the board about the common rust spots on body and frame. You should find those posts, read them carefully, and then do a very thorough inspection, preferrably with the Jeep on a rack. Rust can make a very nice-looking Jeep almost worthless.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 08:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

it is 1975 i just don;t want a jeep that has a 304 and a 3 speed i need somthign that is gonna get better gas mialge, could i get a different tranny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 07:44 AM

If fuel economy is important to you, a Jeep CJ is not the place to look. My 258 I6 on its best day at an easy 55-60 on the highway can ALMOST get 18 MPG. The 304s aren't much worse because the culprit is aerodynamic and mechanical drag, not excessive power. Even my old '64 with the little 4 cylinder only got around 18 on the highway.

A different tranny won't help because they're all 1:1 in top gear, unless you were to put in a late model transfer case and an OD transmission. Then any improvement would be slight and never come close to making up the cost of the swap.

You can't make an econobox out of a CJ.

To go back to your original question, being a pre-76 lowers its value to most people because the hood is shorter, so an I-6 won't fit, the frame isn't as strong, and there is not the plethora of aftermarket parts available.

Personally I like the short-hood look, the gas tank under the driver's seat, the toolbox under the passenger seat, the quick-release hinges and the Dana 18 transfer case (don't know if the '75s still had all that). There are times when I think that I'd like an older CJ. Then my Boss whacks me alongside the head and the thoughts go away. [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 08:25 AM
Official Historian

Um, pre-72 is short hood.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 09:30 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Um, pre-72 is short hood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops. My bad!

Mentally I divide Jeeps into three groups - my '78, older than my '78 and newer than my '78. But I always know that someone will correct my flubs. And on that subject, when was the 18 transfer case replaced by the 20?

Thanks.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Official Historian

55-71 was the 18, 72-79 was the 20, 80-83 was the 300.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 10:49 AM

I knew I could count on you. We should change your title to "Official Historian"

Jim
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 11:17 AM
Official Historian

Can I have 2? [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Can't Get Enough

It's a Jeep, not a Yugo. Forget gas millage. My fuel injected 258 w/ 4.0 head only gets 11 mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode