O/T - Buying first motorcycle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

O/T - Buying first motorcycle

I'm currently in the market to buy my first motorcycle. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm wanting a cruiser, or something similar. I like the Shadow's and Virago's, but they're usually a little high priced for me. I'm looking at spending around $1500 or so. I've ran across a few 1980 Honda CB750's for around $1000. Anyone have any experience with these? The one I found needs a battery, the brakes bled, and that's about it. New tires and wheels. It has been layed down, but he says it's just scratches and what not. I think he said the handle bars had a slight bend in them, but he had a replacement set. Anyway, any comments would be great on this bike, or on what bike you think I should look into. Any tips when I goto look at a bike? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Old Hand

Re: O/T - Buying first motorcycle

I used to have a CB750 (81 I think). It was a good bike, if just a little on the top heavy side. The cruisers have a lower center of gravity, and in general lower torque curve (V-twin apposed to inline 4) and so are easier to learn on. Those CB750's are pretty quick bikes, and theres a whole slew of aftermarket pipes as they are very popular in retro class 750 cafe races. Probably not a bad starter bike.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 07:56 PM

I feel the CB750 is a good find, you almost can't go wrong with a Honda. If you look at the Yamaha's, be careful with the Virago and Midnight Special 1100's, although good bikes, they are famous for second gear problems (Midnight Special) and starter problems (Virago). The above mentioned bikes where made in 1980 or so. I personally would stick with something that is shaft driven over chain, a little smoother, a little cleaner, just personal preference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:01 PM

Is this the first time you are riding a motorcycle as well? Have you ever ridden before? I know when I was learning on a bikes, the smaller the motor the better. when it is your first bike it shouldn't matter how fast or how it looks. Because 9 times out of 10 it will be dropped at least once, and if it is quick you are more likely to become a grease spot on some country road.

I say get a small engine, semi-roughed in bike (similar to what you are looking at right now). Make your mistakes with this bike, then when you are comfortable riding, get rid of it and get something reliable and more exact per what style you like to ride.

Enjoy riding, I miss my bike and can honestly say there is nothing like riding a motorcycle. Not even Jeeping...

Sean
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:35 PM

James PM me so you can call me sometime on this. It will be worth your nickle. I love bikes and have lots of miles on them. This topic needs more than a thread to answer your question if you have never ridden before.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:52 PM

Hey James, after you get your bike you may want to make sure your insurance is paid up. That way when they pull you out from under the truck of the guy that didn`t see you, you`ll have a better chance of making it to Emanual by life flight instead of being stuck in an ambulance on I-5 a rush hour. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 11:12 PM

o, no, another money pit. If i were u i would keep to 1 expensive hobby
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Skip

James, I see from your BIO you're 21. I agree with Dirt Dog. This is not something your going to get from a thread. I've been riding for almost 40 years. I've had somewhere around 10 - 15 different bikes. To many questions from have you ever ridden, what kind of riding do you want to do to if you plan on buying a 20 year old bike you better know how to work on it, and not just the small things. You can find lots of bikes in the under $1500.00 range that are in much better shape. Heck this is the Northwest. PM either Dirt Dog or me for phone talk. He's right it will be worth your time and money. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 02:10 AM
NIX
Keyboard Implanted

Buying a light or a heavy bike, it's always a lot faster than a car and most certainly a Jeep. Even the 250 cc's. They do fold up a lot easier however. The most important things you have to be aware of are: nobody will see you, stops for you, you'll be driving a lot faster than you thought and when hitting something you're probably the most warped subject in the crash as there's no cage or whatever to protect you. I guess my survival on 2 wheels lies in looking into the eyes of the other motorists. The only thing better than riding a bike is riding a horse.....

(I'll probably generate some comments on that.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode