Painless Wiring... How Painful is It? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 03:47 PM
304CJ7

Painless Wiring... How Painful is It?

After an hour or two of troubleshooting as to why my running lights arnt working I gave a call to the previous owner. He had the dash apart when I first looked at buying it. He said that the owner before him swapped out the engine and in doing so they butchered up the wiring harness. He said he was going to rewire it but sold it before he got the chance to. So my question is how hard is it going to be to rewire it and is painless the best way to go? The engine has been swapped and thats what really concerns me. Any ideas, tips, suggestions? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 03:55 PM

Re: Painless Wiring... How Painful is It?

I rewired my 83 CJ7 with a Painless wiring harness. It was a simple, almost idiot proof task. I didn't do an engine swap with mine, but the instructions that came with the kit should be able to guide you the right way. The harness even had extra circuits for an electic fan and some other stuff. It is all labeled clearly. Good luck! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Addict

My brother and I installed a Painless kit in a weekend. It wasn't bad at all. The 'glass tub meant running some extra grounds, but the harness itself went in fairly easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 06:12 PM
RedSandDog

They aren't bad, way better than trying to fix an old narfed up harness. Centech is also very good.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 07:51 PM
Addict

I can't recommend the painless kit enough. I didn't know much about wiring, and got it done in a couple days. Learned a lot in the process and it made troubleshooting a lot easier. 5 stars in my book.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 03:43 PM
304CJ7

Well then. That was easy enough. I am going to go with painless. Thanks yall'
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 03:57 PM

Check out EZ Wiring- they are a lot cheaper. I bought a kit of theirs and while I haven't installed it yet, the kit seems very complete and high-quality.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 07:07 PM
mangu43

I replaced the harness on my 77 cj, and everything went pretty well. I used painless, which seemed to be a good unit, although rather expensive. Especially since I dindn't need half the stuff that the wires went to on my old cj. There was a major problem though, I am sure it was just bad luck of the draw, inside the acutal fusebox they send you, they left out a jumper from the positive to the headlight harness. I spent many hours troubleshooting why the lights didn't work, reattaching grounds, tracing etc, when I finally pulled it open and discovered to empty slots in the fuse box itself and connected a jumper across them and everything worked out fine. I did find the taillight wiring a little tricky though and think i devised my own way of making everything work on that one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode