OT Advice on Gun Safes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

OT Advice on Gun Safes

In the market to buy a gun safe and I don't know much about 'em. I'd like one that would fit in a closet and hold at least 10 guns with room for ammo and other objects worth securing (wife's jewelry, etc.). I figure it would also be a good way to keep the guns out of my son's hands before he's old enough to use them. Right now he's only a year old. I've seen several off topic firearm posts on this board so hopefully someone out there has an opinion on gun safes. Can anyone enlighten me on what brands to look at? Is the extra cost for a fire proof gun safe worth it? [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 01:49 PM

Re: OT Advice on Gun Safes

Not sure if you can get one there, but I really like these. My dad just bought one of their Ultimate Series safes. I've looked at the construction of quite a few of the other top names, and I like this one the most. If I were going to get a safe, it would definitely be from these guys.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Addict

What I did was convert one closet to a gun cabinet and then put an exterior door knob with a key on it. It won't stop fire, but it keeps my 3 year old out of the closet. It would also slow down a thief. I know it wouldn't stop them, but it would take them an extra 5 minutes to steal them and I can always hope they hurt themselves breaking the door down. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 02:49 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'm partial to the Browning, but I know other companies make quality units. I've had a Browning for 15 years and haven't seen any I like better, but several I thought were comparable. Look at good quality, then go for the best price. I'd look at it like Jeep upgrades--try to get what you want the first time, but stay within or close to your budget.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Those heritage safes look top notch. The pricing may be a little high for me though. I was hoping to find something for around $1k but I really don't want to sacrifice quality. I sure don't plan on buying another one for a while. I'll do some reasearch on Browning.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 09:06 PM

In addition to Heritage, Liberty makes a good safe, and I hear Fort Knox safes are decent. I just picked up a "Winchester" Brand (It's made by someone else) at Sam's Club for $738, which in Alaska is a steal. It's interior is changeable, from 11 long gun with storage to 22 long guns with a top shelf. I have a feeling it's made by the same people that made the "Weatherby" brand I used to sell at Fred Meyer as it looks identical, except for the markings. It is a UL listed safe.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:28 PM

I have to give the nod to Liberty also. I`ve had mine 10 yrs. and the finish is still showroom quality. I was very lucky to get it cheap due to a factory overstock sale. I would suggest hitting the local gun shows, my neighbor picked up a safe the same size as mine (25 gun), for $750 and the only real difference I could find between mine and his was that his had a salt and pepper spackle finish as oppossed to the high gloss automotive type finish of mine. I actually liked the finish on his better. Check out the shows, you may find a salesman willing to let one go cheap just so he does`nt have to load it on the truck again. I say stick with a standard dial combination lock also, I`ve heard of more than one person having trouble with the electronic keypad style. I could`nt see spending the money for fire proofing, eveything I have is covered by insurance anyway.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

I was just thinking I remember seeing a Winchester brand safe at my local Sam's club. Smith and Wesson also provides safes. Their stuff looks pretty secure. Just found out a local sporting goods store sells the Browning safes and I'd like to take a look at them. I'll check in to the Liberty brand also. Good idea about the gun shows. I don't plan on going with an electronic lock. Do any of you use a dehumidifier with your safe? Sorry if this post seems unorganized. It's late.... [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:59 PM

The dehumidifier is a good idea, but I only run mine in the winter. Something else to mention is to get a velour interior if possible, they don`t hold moisture like regular carpet interiors do.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2004, 12:25 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California

Ok, I'll chime in with my two cents. I agree with the other posters that Browning, Liberty, Fort Knox, etc are good will built safes and come with all the options. But remember, a gun safe is just a steel box with a door on it. Your going to put it in a closet, so why pay for all that "body work" & decals? Shop around: gun shows, gun shops, want ads, etc. You'll probably find someone locally making them one at a time. I've seen one a while back at the high school shop open house. One of the students bought a door from ????? and just made a box for it. Then he faced it with wood to make it look like a chest of drawers. I though it was a great project but it only got an "honorable mention", go figure?
You asked about "fire proof", mine isn't fire proof but I have a small document size fire proof safe inside my gun safe. I'll lose the guns in a fire but I'll have all my documents. Mostly useless stuff because all the valuable stuff is in safe-deposit at the bank. Anyway, my next safe will be fire proof. Adds to the cost, weight and takes more space: but I think it's worth it.
One last thought, everyone I know that has purchaced a gun safe (including myself) now wish they would have gotten a larger one.
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode