Cage Design - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Cage Design

I drew up an idea of what i had in mind for my roll cage since i know i need one bad with my driving habits. I tried to design it with some tringulation since that seems to be what everyone on por says to do and elf cruiser's roll pics show why you need it. I drew up the diagram in paint so it's not the greatest or to scale. Tell me what you think. I'm planning on tying race buckets into the cage with 5 points (the seats are still a little down the road), dash bar, harness bar, triangulated top spreaders, trangulated bracing in the rear and door frames, and tying all 6 points into the frame. I added little tube gussets where where the front hoop has bends/ joints up top.

BarrelRoll
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1275172-roll cage.JPG (26.1 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Re: Cage Design

updated cage attachment, will change the picture in original post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1275187-roll cage.JPG (26.1 KB, 61 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 07:28 AM
Keyboard Implanted

What does the yellow indicate?

I wouldn't worry about the gussetts on the "kit" if it is one piece going down to the floor. It's nice to have the ones that are on the same plane as the doors, simply as grab handles.

Here is how we did mine (Jeep is away for repairs or I would snap photos) bar from roll hoop forward to just behind the windshield, bent down to the dash, then bent again to floor, pass through hole drilled in floor to a bracket mounted to frame. Bars from side to side, one just above dash, other up on roof back from down bend enough to use sun visor. 2 spreaders parallel from roll hoop to forward cross bar. Mine is rudamentary and simple design. But should stand up to a pretty major roll. If I were to do it over, I might not tie into the frame on the front down bar...the whole, part of the cage is tied into the frame but not all of it...argument.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

The yellow is a cage kit (i might have used yellow and green i'm red green colorblind). I have the gussets up front and in the rear to reinforce the joints and bends. I wan't a cage that when i'm done is more than your usual cage. I tend to push the limits wheel (i get board in the quarry at attica, keith even had fun trying to follow me), and want a cage that's overbuilt instead of under built.

BarrelRoll
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 09:31 AM

lomodyj said:
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
If I were to do it over, I might not tie into the frame on the front down bar...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? (I am curious to know because I am still in the design phase of my cage buildup and my plan is to tie it to the frame)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 09:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

on my cj, I didn't have to bend the tubing over the hump for the seat brackets. I am still in the welding phase of getting it done. when it is done I will post pictures. mine is kinda the same idea.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

There are lots of arguments for and against tying a cage into the frame...they have been discussed ad-nausium elsewhere. But, what I have done is only tie in the front of the cage, just below my feet when I'm sitting in the front seat. So what happens when I roll, is the body separates from the frame in the rear of the tub and as the front of the tub lets go of the frame it slides up the down bars catching me between the top of the roll cage and the tub. The likely hood of this all happening is pretty slim, so I don't plan on pulling it apart and starting over, but like a said, if I had it to do over I would put a plate to the floor on the down bar and not tie into the frame...I might add a bracket under the tub at all 6 mounting places, sandwiching the tub between, but this seems like more work than it's worth.

Andy, I'm not busting on your design, I've read all about how you wheel, and adding to your stock cage is a very good idea. Just think it's a better idea to have a clean functional cage than one that's got all kinds of not very useful stuff added to it.

Which way are the front down bars bent? Do they come up from the floor then bend back to the stock hoop or does it go across the windshield then back down to the floor with spreaders going back to the stock hoop?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

I presonally think i'd rather have the body and the frame stay together when i roll. I know it takes a ton of work to get even an old rusty body seperated from a frame and the chance they seperate is very slim. I will be tied into the cage via the seats and harnesses so it doesn't matter as much. I want something built for safety not looks or comfort. I'm not sure if i will just use a cage kit and then have some one bend the the tringulated upper parts, door bars and seat tie ins or if i will have some one build and install the whole cage for me. I have some one that can do it. Anyone that has built a couple cages want to let me know what you think.

BarrelRoll
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Old Hand

If you are looking for ideas you ought to look here, the Blue Torch Fab projects page. They have lots of pictures of their projects from multiple angles.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 08:25 PM

where do you buy cage kits, like front hoops etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode