O/T Need Wiring Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

O/T Need Wiring Help

Hey Guys,

I am thinking about installing a garbage disposal myself. I have a quick question, is it possible for me to just put a switch in between the wire for the power and the wall <See pic> - There is an outlet under my kitchen sink, and I am thinking about just putting a switch in the cabinet under the sink for the garbage disposal. that way, I dont have to rip the wall apart, run wire to an existing spot on the wall, etc. Do you guys see any problems with this layout?

Edit: The disposal is brand new without any existing disposal. Also, this disposal does not have any kind of wiring attached to it yet. I have to run it myself.

Thanks for your help.

Sean

Attached Images
File Type: gif 1274944-wiring.gif (3.5 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 02:50 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: O/T Need Wiring Help

I installed one for my mother in exactly that way. I spliced into the receptical for power, then to a switch, then to the disposal. Easy and no problems. Go with it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Official Curmudgeon

What you posted doesn't make sense. If there is an outlet under the sink, it would be put there for the garbage disposal and should already have a switch for it somewhere on the wall above and near the sink. Even if they didn't install the disposal, there is usually provisions for it. Do you have a switch up there that you haven't figured out what it does yet? Otherwise, is there a box with a blank cover or a double wide box that has half of it blanked off? If there is, that's where the switch goes.

What you drew would work, but it would be very inconvenient. You could use a box and install a switch in the front of the lower cabinet but there would be a the danger of brushing your leg or hip against the switch and turning the disposal on, plus the shock hazard with the possibility of slopping water down the front of the cabinet.

I just changed my disposal last night. It's got a cord connected to it and just plugs into the wall. Every one I've seen recently just uses a 3 wire appliance cord, no more running flex. Get the one with the 90 degree plug like comes on a washing machine so it keeps the cord out of the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Related to what you said, the outlet doesn't have a switch. Right now, the dishwasher is plugged into it. I was thinking about just using the other outlet to plug the disposal in. I was thinking about mounting the switch inside the cabinet, so all I have to do is open the door, flip it on, and shut it again. I don't mind doing that.

The disposal didn't come with a cord, so my thought was to go and buy an appliance cord, and put a switch in between the disposal and the outlet as depicted in the picture.

Does that make any sense?

Thanks,
Sean
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 04:14 PM
Official Curmudgeon

That will work. Make sure you get a good heavy cord and some cord grips.

It still seems strange that they didn't switch one side of the outlet for the disposal but then I've seen a lot of things where somebody cheaped out only to cause a lot of problems down the road.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Is that receptacle GFCI?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

LEVE you always want to take all of the "shock" and excitement out of things.

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 09:25 PM
Official Curmudgeon

[/ QUOTE ]I don't know that it has to be. Well, obviously, it doesn't have to be since he's not subject to inspection but in my NEC under

210-8 Ground-Fault Ciruit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel
(a) Dwelling Units
(6) Kitchens. Where the receptacles are installed to serve the counter-top surfaces.

It's a 1996 NEC book but I don't think anything changed and they didn't write mine up in the inspection I had to undergo last summer.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 09:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I don't know that it has to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

While there may not be a code to comply with, don't you want it to be GFCI ?

If I should hit the lottery and build a new home every plugin will be protected with a GFCI. Most of those modules will protect multiple plugins and only cost a few bucks. There are other ways I want to die.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Sounds like you've got a little phobia going there. I would expect that my chances of being killed by that outlet would be about as good as you hitting that lottery but then somebody always wins the lottery eventually.

I was only about 12 or so when I got my first shock helping my dad wire a house. I grabbed an outlet that I didn't know was hot. I've been shocked a lot of times as an electrician. I almost got to liking it.

I would worry more about dying by tripping when I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and breaking my neck than getting electrocuted by the outlet under the sink or the disposal plugged into it, but if it makes you feel better, do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode