Installing shims to correct caster - How to do ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Installing shims to correct caster - How to do ???

The alignment shop indicated that I am off caster by about 3-5* on my 84 CJ7( target being 6-8*). This is due to the 1" lift shackles I am sure. They did not have any steel shims only the cast aluminum stuff which I have heard never to use. So I thought I would get a 4* set of steel ones from a source I saw in one of the threads and install myself rather than pay them the $80 for labor if I supply the parts.

I have a couple of questions about the install which seems straight forward enough but I want to be sure. Will I need new centering pins? How to remove these pins? Is the process basically to support the jeep by the frame, remove the wheels, support the axle, take off the u-bolts, take out the centering pin, install shim (fat side to front), and reassemble? Do I have to worry about the spring pack coming apart? Any reason reassembly will be difficult (i.e. things not lining back up)?

Let me know if I have missed something or have over simplified the task (I have a history of turning a simple two hour job into a weekend extravaganza).

All help greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 02:16 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California

Re: Installing shims to correct caster - How to do ???

It's not rocket science, your on track. The centering pins are relatively cheap, replace them. It's not recommonded to reuse the U-bolts either but they aren't cheap! Use common sence, check them out before reusing the U-bolts. I don't know how you plan to used the Jeep but re-check the U-bolt tightness often the first few weeks. Not uncommon to loosen up a bit. As for the alumunium shims, heard a lot of bad stuff but most of the shops install them ..... go figure.
What are you going to buy for the Jeep with the $80 you saved?
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Can't Get Enough

Like the previous post said it isn't that hard. You can pick up new cenering pins at any local auto supplier. Before you take the old ones out, clamp the spring pack together using C clamps so they won't go everywhere when you unbolt them. Then just drive them out. Take the old pin with you when you buy the new ones so you get the right diameter. Reusing the u-bolts isn't the best idea, but it can be done as long as the threads arn't boggered up. Most of the time I end up scaring the threads trying to get them either on or off!

I'll send you a bil for $80 for the advice. You can pay vial pay-pal if you like! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:43 PM
Addict

Also, Yes the spring pack will come apart, unless you make sure it doesn't. I have used large C-clamps to hold them together while I took the centering pin out, but there may be other safer ways of doing it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 07:20 PM

Re: Installing shims to correct caster - How to do

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
This is due to the 1" lift shackles I am sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remove the lift shackles and that problem is solved,,,,,,,,,,,,,along with a bunch of future problems that may arise from the use of lift shackles.
,,,,,,,Or you can keep throwing money at it with bandaid fixs to try and make a bad idea work,,,,,it's up to you.
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode