Building a roll cage off the factory roll bar? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Building a roll cage off the factory roll bar?

I was talking to some one who was pretty reputable when it comes to roll cages and he says i shouldn't waste my time with building off the junk stock roll bar and should have a full custom cage built up throwing away the stock roll bar. I've seen tons of cages built off factory roll bars and i think you are even allowed to build off factory roll bars in eroc rules. Is building off the factory roll bar not safe. By time i'm done with my cage (going to build it up in stages) i'd like it to be a nice triangulated cage with seats and 5 points tied into it to multiple rolls.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 01:27 PM
Old Hand

Re: Building a roll cage off the factory roll bar?

Mine is built off the stock bar.
It's a huge improvement over the stock bar. So it's definitely a lot safer than what was there.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 02:14 PM

Mine was built off of the factory rollbar.
I think you would be hard pressed to find a rollbar that was more tested or abused.
It was the same rollbar that bounced multiple times down the rocks at Donner, and went on to complete that day, and many days after.
I would venture to say that cage was asked to protect my lid, at least 2 dozen times, and it always did what it was supposed too.
In the end it was the blue torch that finaly finished it off, when I redesigned the entire rear end of the Jeep,...even then it put up a hell of a fight in Welder Boys shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Can't Get Enough

Mine is built off the factory bar. I'm not afraid of it being week.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:59 PM
Pooh-Bah

On my CJ5 I built it off the stock hoop in stages, and it was rolled a few times very hard and was okay. The first go around of my CJ7 was built off the stock hoop, and took a few mild rolls and was okay. The most recent buildup I went totally custom to fit was I was doing. As far as building them, I am about 50/50 on using the stock hoop, just depends on what they want, and the overall build-up.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

I whas hoping you would answer this post. I was thinking about all the hard rolls you have had. I think the stock hoop is fine for me. I do get stupid some times but if i get that supid that i need a full custom cage the rest of the jeep probably won't be able to survive.

BarrelRoll
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 07:16 PM
97TJ

I past a TJ this afternoon coming down the highway on it's lid. Just go's to show, you never know when you will need it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, i've barrelrolled on the road ending back on my wheels. Stock jeep cages do hold up to a fair amount on the road. My jeep is becomming more and more less streetable though and now will ride on a trailer most trips more than an hour.

BarrelRoll
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 08:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I had a race car shop that was going to build my cage. He said the same damn thing. So at first i was going with what he said. Then i saw a CJ that rolled at least 6 times, starting at about 70 mph. Then i saw H8's rig with the stock cage and if i remember right Jeff even used a stock hoop for the front hoop also. Then i saw what he was doing and well that got me back to earth. There isnt anything wrong with the stock hoop. Use it and go for it. If you still are worried about it and few extra bars to it and let it eat.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

The person that told me that would probably be getting my money for the cage so i was taking it with a grain of salt. It's a lot cheeper to spend $120 on a weld in cage kit and a stick or 2 of tubing. Maybe spend some cash to have some one bend up some trangulated overhead spreaders and some seat tie ins/ trangulation in the door area. Time to start thinking about cage designs.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode