Bought a house, need airless paint sprayer advice. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Bought a house, need airless paint sprayer advice.

Woo hoo, just bought my first home. Gonna close the deal on Friday. But the house needs a good paint job. It's got the wood-grained masonite type lap siding. I was thinking of getting one of these to do the job. Anyone have an opinion on it, or can you recommend a similarly priced one that might be better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 12:47 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Bought a house, need airless paint sprayer advice.

I'd say rent one from a tool rental place. I've never heard anything good about wagner sprayers of any kind. Though I've never used that one personally.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 01:35 PM

Congrads on the real estate! I self contracted my last two homes. Even though I've never done an exterior, I sprayed my complete interior on the last two. I rented an airless sprayer from Sherwin Williams and it worked out slick, I sprayed and my wife rolled behind me. It's going to take a lot of paint, my interior was 25 gallons of paint and 20 gallons of primer. By the time your done, it's quite a bit of money. I'd go to a few paint stores in your area, get prices on the material and see if you can get a discount on the sprayer or even one "thrown" in on the deal. Sherwin gave me a disount on the spayer, I think I paid for two days and got two free.. it's been a few years. A commercial airless is 1000 times better than the Wagner! The sprayer I rented was nearly a grand, I believe my rental fee was around $70 bucks per day at the time. Good luck with the home and happy painting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Bought a house, need airless paint sprayer adv

DO NOT BUY THE WAGNER. It will not last long. Rent one from your local HomeDestpot/sLowes/SherwinWilliams/Duron-ron, get a good one. It will make your life so much easier. Also, before you go and spend $$$ on paint and renting a sprayer...price having a paint contractor come in...Many times they get a much better price on the paint than you will. Had our house done a couple of years ago, was only about 10% less for me to buy the paint (retail) than it was to have the painter buy the paint AND slap it on the house...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 03:16 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I sure got my money's worth out of a Wagner. Just remember, clean, clean and clean it again. I had the cheaper quart container type. I painted the outside of a 2.5 car garage twice in one afternoon. But I let a friend use it and....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice guys. I did check out a few rental places before I posted this. Most of them around here were about $100 to $150 a day. I was just thinking that if I bought one for $200 and it lasted through 2 paint jobs, it would have paid for itself. Most people have crap to say about Wagner's, but most of the people I've talked to have only used the handheld quart type rather than this piston pump one. It did get fairly good reviews compared to the high priced ones, even though it's still a Wagner, and only costs $200. Did manage to find a new one on Ebay last night for about $160. I'll definitely check out the local Sherwin Williams shop to see if they can cut me a deal if I buy all the paint from them too.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 08:34 AM
Can't Get Enough

Yeah, I suggest checking with Sherwin Williams. When I built, I purchased all my paint from Sher-Wil, and they threw in the use of an industrial sprayer. Of course, in the house I sprayed 160 gallons of paint and primer, all in two days. I had my wife and son behind me rolling as I sprayed. With the sprayer I got from them, I just put a drop tube in the open five gallon paint bucket and sucked it dry. No pooring into a hopper, or fussing with it. Plus, it has a long hose that reduced the need to move the machine around much.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 08:38 AM

Wait on the Wagner! I have painted houses for 16 years. I have seen almost all the Wagner products and for the money you would spend on a Wagner for limited use and often limited results, I would rent a high end piston-driven airless. If you think you might use it more than once, go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy the $400 unit they sell with 25 ft of hose. You can add hose for a little more if you need it. The less expensive style of sprayer uses a diaphram to build pressure and they tended to dry out and fail rather quickly with a lot of use. The piston driven which are coming down in price are MUCH better. Like with all sprayers..... clean it, clean it again, and clean it once more for good measure. Always spray out your material with water or thinner until it sprays clear. You'll be happy for a long time with a good sprayer bought or rented!

my $0.02

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Veteran

I agree with everyone one the good piston type airless strayer. I put myself through college working as a contract painter and all I did was run a gun 12+ hrs a day most of the time. It is mucher easier on the machines running water base paints such as flats and semigloss. But when you are using oil base when painting exterior it is a pain in the butt without a good machine. If you have everything preped you should be able to prime and paint two base coats in much less than a day unless your house is much over 2000sqft or two story where lots of your painting will be from a ladder. If it was me I'd make sure to have plenty of hose 50ft +, best to have 100ft because you don't want to have to stop painting to move your machine all day. Get as much paint as you can in 5 gallon buckets because if you get 1 gallon pails and transfer it much more is waisted because the lip on the can.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 11:44 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

$400 !!! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
I dont think he's wanting to start a business.
I picked up a rebuilt latex sprayer for under 30 bucks at Big Lots.
The results were better, quicker and easier than a brush or roller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode