ideas for budget ps and steering pump? any swaps? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

ideas for budget ps and steering pump? any swaps?

hey guys im kinda running out of funds for now but i need to put another powersteering pump and box to replace the worn one in my cj. i think the last guy that owned it ran it dry and its bad. and help on what to find at a salvage yard for now. any help would be appreciated, i want to drive my cj. weather is just right to take the top off. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] sorry i forgot to mention i have an amc v8. thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: ideas for budget ps and steering pump from chevy?

1. Have you thought about rebuilding the pump?
2. A NAPA rebuild kit's < $15.
3. It takes some work,
4. But it's an inexpensive alternative,
5. To buying a used part.
6. What's ya got to loose by doing it?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Re: ideas for budget ps and steering pump from chevy?

thanks i have to look into that. i think it is more the pump the is messed up. it seems like when i turn the steeringwheel it its free then if you turn it it gets rough then it jerks and gets sticky 3 or four times then ok and then same thing. i duno?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 01:54 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: ideas for budget ps and steering pump from che

Either the pump's taking a dump or you've got resistance from steering components touching (where they shouldn't?) or a balljoint issue.

I'd go with the pump personally...I replaced my weak PS pump last winter for $35-$40 for a reman speced for a mid-'80s GWaggy. Cured all the straining, belt squalling, and near manual feel. OTOH, Aaron &amp; others have had good result running 1ton Chevy PS pumps meant for hydro-boost brake systems
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 09:23 PM

Just get any off a gm model car, they all saginaw. run about $15 It doesnt have to be a jeep.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Old Hand

Brownbags right about it being a standard GM saginaw pump, but you need to watch the return line, and mounting bosses. The pumps all looked the same, but with diffent return fittings. Just to make sure you get one that doesn't run into your exaust or block, and will line up with your brackets.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

yeh, thats kinda what i was thinking..damn there would so much to choose from but i would probably be best off from a gm truck or something right. so what model truck should i look for? thanks for the info so far.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: ideas for budget ps and steering pump? any swaps?

OK, this is all very interesting and I do not have a good answer. The more that I look into the different Saginaw Gear boxes (that all look alike) the more confused I have become. The Saginaw was used on many different GM models and dozens of other makes like <nobr>Toyota</nobr> (eww). There are many different gear ratios, effort indexes and several different goes into/goes outof shaft sizes all with different travels end to end.

Here’s a link to some (confusing) data on the subject of the GM boxes.

Saginaw Power Steering

LEVE if you can get one of these silly things apart and back together, make it functional without any leaks, not blow the seals out of the pump when you first turn the steering wheel…….. Then you are the man! I have a couple that you can rebuild and I will pay you to do it (parts, shipping and a reasonable labor charge is on me), cores are not a problem. At some point I'm going to want to know how the heck you do that.. so teaching me is part of the bargin. If interested drop a note, if not then just ignore it.

Good Luck

Oh damn the subject is the pump.... I can rebuild one of those in my sleep.... if someone cleans it up maybe with just one hand.... now the steering gear is another thing!!!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 08:34 PM

Re: ideas for budget ps and steering pump? any swa

becareful around mid 80,s some had metric hose fitting. I got mind off a Monza and it works find
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode