SM465 Shifting. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

SM465 Shifting.

Just picked up my SM465 for my summer swap.

put the shifer back on it when i got home.. and shifted through the gears.. it all worked good.. then I decided to crank the trans over by hand.

When it's in nutral, it turns backwards of input direction.

(So turn the input clockwise if looking at it from the front.. the output turns counter clockwise if looking at it from the front.)

the same thing happens in reverse... BUT... when its put into any of the other gears L-1-2-3 it locks up and neither shaft can move.

Anyone got any ideas? Do these things just not turn by hand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 10:51 PM

Re: SM465 Shifting.

did you take the top plate off at all???

I know those three little syncro keys on one of the gears can wiggle just a little out of place and not let things completly engage and disengage. Causes the same thing you describe, when you put the stick in gear, you are only half way through the synchro and have more than one gear meshed, so nothing can turn.
I had the same problem on my t-18. Had to take the top plate back off, hold them little things in place and carefully put it all back together.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

No I haven't taken the top plate off.. but I need to remove the mainshaft for resplinging [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But if that's what it sounds like.. it could well be that.
I guess I'll contact the seller, pop the top, and fix it before I go pulling the mainshaft.

Thankz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 11:00 PM

It would have been my guess if you had taken the top plate off and played with stuff in their, but if you haven't... could be lots of things I spose...

Since you are needing a new input anyway, tear into it. They are fun to look at through all the gears and also you can see if anythnig is chewed up inside.

In my case, reverse was screwed pretty good but I wasn't digging that deep to change one gear!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

This one is supposed to be freshly rebuilt.. I guess the prv. owner may have messed it up.

Just want to make sure it works before i go trearing into it.. so I don't have to go putting big money into it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Also.

looking into the shift tower.

theres a spring that prevents the shifter from "flopping" into the reverse rail.. is there supposed to be one on the L+1 rail?
Because the shifter floats freely between the L+1 and 2+3..

If theres not supposed to be one.. can I put one in.. theres a ton of slop in the shifter right now.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 03:05 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

No spring there. Also, on a 465, when you do put the top and shift tower backon, it slips in best if it is about half way into reverse (both the fork and the gear). My bet is that PO slid thetop back on and missed the reverse gear, causing the symptoms you describe. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 06:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] J-Dog is right......the shifter end went to neutral and left the reverse rail still in reverse. No big deal, I've even had that happen when someone reached in and slapped the tranny shift lever into neutral from reverse with the vehicle parked and some pressure still on the gears. You'll find that the shift rail is most probably halfway into reverse. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode