96 wrangler info - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

96 wrangler info

I"m thinking about getting a 96 wrangler for my son.It has the 4 cyl and 5 speed.I know the 4cyl is probaly a dog,but how reliable is the drivetrain and engine?Any problem areas to look for.It is in excellent shape and low mileage and the price is right.Thanks for any help.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Official Historian

Re: 96 wrangler info

There was no1996 model. 1995 was the last year of the YJ (square headlights) and 1997 was the first year of the TJ (round headlights, coil spring suspension). They ran the 1995 a half year longer and introduced the 1997 several months early.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the the heads up.originally I was told(by his son) it was a 97,his dad said it was a 96.I'll check it out.I'm assuming the 95 model was leafs up front?Also who made the engine for that model year?
Thanks,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 09:58 PM
Official Historian

YJ's had square headlights and leaf springs. TJ's have coil springs and round headlights. Regardless, both used the 2.5L AMC 4 cylinder and the AX-5 transmission.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Upon further review it must be a 97.My son has looked at it and said it has round headlights and no leafs.So how reliable is the little 4 banger?

Thanks,
Bill
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 10:21 PM

Rather reliable I would say....

87k on my 97 2.5l and no problems... yet.

I dont beat on it though. new drivers tend to be hard on cars, especially 4x4s (like moms suburban going places it shouldnt and then spending $20 at the coin op carwash to try and get rid of the evidence).
Also really take the time and find a 4.0.....four angry squirrels just dont cut it for me.

Phil
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 01:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The only place the four banger is lacking is on the highway with bigger tires. I have both and like them both. You just can't turn big rubber and easily maintain highway speeds (70 - which seems to be some "standard" warp speed).

I would say that if your son intends to do any highway commuting and use it as a daily driver ..AND intends to put on the taller tires ..that he should look for a 4.0 (as others have recommended). On the otherhand if he just wants a jeep and isn't going to put 33" tires on it (235/75r 15s do nicely) ..OR is willing to assume a "slower" technique getting from point A to point B ..then I think the 4 banger will do fine. It does fine in most off road situations (some conditions and restrictions apply)

Neither has anyting to do with economy. It's a matter of poor and rotten. Both the 2.5 and the 4.0 are reliable engines.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Hmmmm something that might slow down an 18 year old with a lead foot,that does'nt seem too bad. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]Really I'm just looking for reliable transportation and something 4 wheel drive.Kid loves to hunt.Decent gas mileage is a plus.Were'nt really hung up on a jep,but ran across this one and the price is right.Plus chicks love jeeps right [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]Should be right up his alley.I think it's sportin 30 or 31's with a minor lift right now.Compared to the gas hogging bronco he's driving now,anything will be an improvement.
thanks for the input,

Bill
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 01:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have a 97 with a 2.5 and other than Highway speed I really have no complaints. Engine has been reliable. Only problem I can find is the cat's commonly go bad. But crysler will replace them up to 80,000 miles..
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 01:46 AM
MOX
Old Hand

Ur damn right on that one, when the top comes off the Jeep in the summer time, u can count on the Jeep being loaded down with honeys wantin to go to the river. Gotta love Jeeps [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode