Solenoid problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 09:26 PM
STONECOLD

Solenoid problem

85 CJ7 258 5 speed. I am trying to get my brothers Jeep back on the road. Working out some minor problems. RIght now I cant get it to start with the key. I can jump the solenoid, and it fires right up.

My brother couldnt get it to start once, so he replaced the solenoid. It still didnt work. Not sure what the deal is. I hate working behind people, because you dont know what they did to it.

I get voltage from the battery to the solenoid.
When the key turned forward (accessory position)I get voltage from the red wire on the side of the solenoid. When the key is turned to start I get voltage to the blue wire. I get no voltage to the starter wire itself. There is a nipple on the solenoid between it and the inner fender that has no wire going to it???? I grounded it momentarily, and the solenoid buzzed at me? What is supposed to plug into there??

I'll see if I can post a pic.

Thanks
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1273681-parts 012.jpg (36.3 KB, 32 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 10:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Solenoid problem

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
There is a nipple on the solenoid between it and the inner fender that has no wire going to it???? I grounded it momentarily, and the solenoid buzzed at me? What is supposed to plug into there??

[/ QUOTE ]

Nipple?? Well maybe it's a screw terminal. There should be two small terminals and two large terminals. You have three out of four by default connected correctly.

From what you have described the original solenoid failed and was replaced by a slightly different version of the same type solenoid that does not have the coil side grounded internally.

If I remember correctly one of the funny things about the AMC solenoids on manual transmission versions was that the coil ground was provided internally. Simple to jump that "unused" terminal to ground and it should start.

The solenoid is simply a relay, the two small terminals are the low current coil (small wires) and the two large terminals connect the battery to the starter (big wires) when the coil is energized.

Looks to me like you are one small ground wire away from driving that Jeep.

Good Luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 12:40 AM
STONECOLD

Thanks for the reply. When I do ground the nipple it starts....regardless if the key is on or not. I tried switching the smaller wires to the nipple, but still wont start. Could that nipple be for some kind of safety switch? I dont think the clutch has a safety switch, maybe they gave my brother the wrong solenoid??? The nipple has voltage to it when the key is turned forward.

THanks,
BRian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 12:49 AM
STONECOLD

THat did it. I just had to change the order a bit, and ground one of the terminals/NIPPLES!!!

Thanks for the help.

Brian
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Great that it worked out.

Don't let your nipples get cold. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Thanks for the follow up too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode