Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Need info on South Carolina lift laws. (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/188479-need-info-south-carolina-lift-laws.html)

WildCJ5 03-07-2004 09:15 PM

Need info on South Carolina lift laws.

Thinking about relocating to Charleston SC from Southern CA and need info on what's legal. The Jeep is a 1983 CJ5 with a 4 inch lift, 36s, no fender flares and lots of rock rash.

http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthrea...8-DSCN0384.JPG
http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthrea...2-DSCN0385.JPG

Thanks in advance,
Rob

webjeep 03-07-2004 11:32 PM

Re: Need info on South Carolina lift laws.

you can probably find it here SC State Code [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

oh yeah, nice lookin 5 [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-web

redjeep 03-08-2004 07:19 AM

Hey when you get here you will have to look us up. Ricky and I both have some pretty big jeeps and have never had any problem driving around here. Most cops don't know if there is a lift law. I have asked a couple that are freinds if there is any problem driving around like that and they both said, I don't see why not.
But, there is probably something written somewhere about it. The cops here just don't seem to care though.

When are you moving? Let us know.

WildCJ5 03-08-2004 12:25 PM

Nick,
We are coming out in April to check out the area. Any suggestions on places to look for a house? Where should we eat, and more importantly where shouldn't we eat? What's the job market like? I work in the prepress side of printing here but I don't think there is much of that going on there. Any help, info or tips you guys can give would really be appreciated.

Webjeep,
Thanks for the link, what I needed was in there.

SECTION 56-5-4445. Unlawful to elevate or lower motor vehicle; exception for "pickup trucks".

It shall be unlawful for any person to drive a passenger motor vehicle on the highways of this State which has been elevated or lowered either in front or back more than six inches by a modification, alteration or change in the physical structure of the vehicle. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined not less than twenty-five dollars nor more than fifty dollars. Provided, however, this shall not apply to motor vehicles commonly called "pickup trucks".

MarineOpLaw 03-08-2004 01:09 PM

FWIW:

While the law enforcement folks may not enforce their lift laws, there is another aspect you may want to consider to some extent...

Scenario: Negligent driver (unsuccessfully) drives his Yupmobile under your Jeep; thereby potentially damaging you, your Jeep, him and his junk. You then make an appropriate claim for damages against him. He/his insurance company/lawyer could attempt to use your 'not in compliance w/ MV code' status as a basis to defeat or limit your claim, or counter-sue for damages to him caused by your illegal vehicle height. [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img] (In some states, contributory negligence by the 'victim' in an accident, will result in the victim having no claim for damages. Potentially, an argument could be made that the excessive height of your Jeep contributed to the happening of the accident and/or increased the amount of damage resulting. If lifted beyond compliance w/ state code, this could be determined to be tantamount to a contributory negligent act.)

Maybe not a big concern, but at least something to be aware of. B/c there are too many lawyers, they have come up w/ many new and novel ways to keep themselves employed (and handsomely paid). [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]

MTurner00 03-08-2004 03:22 PM

Our Marine friend has a very valid point, but the code says in excess of 6"...since your's is 4" lift, you're fine. I think it is hilarious how they specify the exception to be "pickup trucks". [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] You should see some of the "pickup trucks" driving around in S.C. [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] They are waaaaayyyy over that 6" limit. Good luck with the move. I don't live down by Charleston, so I don't have any advice for you in that area.

Marcus

MTPockets 03-08-2004 03:55 PM

I'm not sure how up to date, or accurate this link is, but it may be of some help. Has most states, for other board members that might be interested.

http://www.truckworld.com/How-To-Tec...lift-laws.html

MarineOpLaw 03-08-2004 06:00 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
valid point, but the code says in excess of 6"...since your's is 4" lift, you're fine

[/ QUOTE ]

Marcus,

Thanks for the backup, but 'not so fast just yet'...

Rob indicated he had a
CJ5 with a 4 inch lift, 36s...

[/ QUOTE ]

What were the OE tires? Not 36s... Therefore, w/ 36's Rob is getting close if not over the 6" point. Code indicated it did not matter how the height was arrived at - which would include the increased tire height combined w/ the lift.

Actually though, my post was more a general info thing to all w/ interest as opposed to applicable to Rob specifically.

Rob, if you're a cigar smoker, there used to be a pretty neat cigar lounge down in Old Town Charleston. I also remember a good place for oysters on the halfshell just down &amp; across the street. Finally, though I do not imbibe any more, there was a great microbrewery that had some of the thickest, best-tasting Oatmeal Stout I've ever had. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the names of any of these places. Sorry.

Godspeed in your move.

redjeep 03-09-2004 09:25 PM

Check your PM.

webjeep 03-10-2004 12:58 AM

I'm not sure how up to date, or accurate this link is, but it may be of some help. Has most states, for other board members that might be interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

as far as finding the lift laws for each particluar state, most of them can be found on their state web sites under state codes. the interpretations of the site posted by MT is nice, but less than accurate in many cases. it claims that jeeps do not fall into the truck category because they do not have a separate bed, but the criteria is actually a functional tailgate, not a bed. just FYI. if anyone needs them, i have links to most of the 50 states codes.

-web