Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Differences in Narrowtrac D30 outers? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/188468-differences-narrowtrac-d30-outers.html)

Caver Dave 03-07-2004 07:37 PM

Differences in Narrowtrac D30 outers?

I was chatting with Aaron today and he mentioned he had several sets of spare front axles. Having also bought a set, I found that the drum brake outers have a 2" OD flange (confirmed) for a seal where they meet the spindle. I know the disc model outers have the same flange, but it's larger than 2" (Does anyone have the exact dia?).
My set ended up with one that *will* work and one that would not. I think he'd like to measure his to make sure they'll work (he's got the same D30 w/ drums) before finding out on the trail (ten miles into the woods....at night...in the rain...without Pat [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )

BTW, thanks for the [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] !

jeepfiend 03-07-2004 09:40 PM

Re: Differences in Narrowtrac D30 outers?

I just measured my spare set, the flange measured 3.345 inches. I also have drum brakes. I couldn't get my calipers into the knuckle to measure, but the existing axles had a flange that looked to be the same diameter, basically the diameter is almost the same as the width of the yoke. Last time I changed a u-joint, I remeber the flange is almost the same size as the hole in the knuckle. The <nobr><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,84716);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(84716);">Jeep</nobr></a></nobr> is a '77 and the spare axles were from a slightly newer model. Hope this helps. The flange is a separate piece, it sounds like it is missing from some of your spares. I think they all should have it. Are you sure it hasn't broken off some of them. The flange is intended to protect the spindle seal.

irjpr 03-07-2004 10:47 PM

I have a set of each out at my folks house. If you don't find a definitive answer by this weekend let me know and I will run out there and measure them. One is off a '77 30 with drums, and the other is off an unknown year, but two bolt caliper setup 30. Both narrow track. I wasn't looking and didn't notice any difference size... but again I wasn't looking for a difference, just stripping the 30's for parts.

They are free, if someone wants em, you pay shipping their yours.

jeepfiend 03-08-2004 08:33 AM

irjpr,
Sent you a PM about the shafts.
Thanks,
Kris

irjpr 03-08-2004 05:46 PM

I just measured both sets of shafts, (one disk and one drum) they are both the same. I can gaurantee the shafts out of the drum 30 are factory. I don't know the history of the disk setup, they might or might not be factory.

I can say that the 6 bolt caliper dana 30 shafts will fit a drum brake 30...

Maybe their is a difference with the 2 bolt caliper type?? Or a year difference or something??? I had always assumed a 30 shaft was a turdy shaft.

WILL 03-08-2004 07:43 PM

According to quadratec, there is one outer shaft spindle seal (the big one behind the spindle) for the 72-76 with drum brakes and another part number for 77-86 with disk brakes.

Aaron871 03-08-2004 07:50 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
According to quadratec, there is one outer shaft spindle seal

[/ QUOTE ]

But are the outer axle shafts the same part # from a 75 to a 78? Or do both accomodate with and without the spindle seal?

WILL 03-08-2004 08:04 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Or do both accomodate with and without the spindle seal?

[/ QUOTE ]

You misread. They both have a spindle seal. There is a different part number for each though. I couldn't find a part number for just the outer shaft. The spindles are also different.