Just Don't Make things like they used to. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Just Don\'t Make things like they used to.

4 years ago my wife bought me a Powermate 30 gal air compressor. It was an ok compressor, but had to run all the time to keep up and being direct drive just ticked me off to hear it run. So It got maybee 20 hours of use and I found a westinghouse compressor and tank in a local junk yard. Spoke to the yard manager and he said it had a burnt up motor that they removed and were looking for a new one. I bought a few other things from him and on the way out asked if the compressor was for sale and he said 20.00 takes it. So I bought it took it home and put new lines and a motor on it,, for just over 100.00 it was running and kickin but. So the other day the 5 hp motor finally burnt up.

So I get out my trusty BRAND NEW powermate to compensate. It ran a total of 45min off and on, and I started smelling a fowl burnt odor. closer inspection was the compressor got real hot. and now will not pump up over 80 psi.. So something has happened inside the compressor as the motor runs fine.

So the 20.00 rebuilt junkyard dog just continues to show up the brand new powermate,,,, Just does not seem right does it??

Anyone had this problem with the direct drive compressors?? Is it terminal or can I salvage it... It doesn't stop running just will not pump over 80psi.....

Who sells 7.5 hp 220v compressor motors reasonably?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 03:00 PM

Re: Just Don\'t Make things like they used to.

A new pump is probably what's needed. In other words, it's probably not worth the time and money to make it go again.

A 7.5HP single phase will set you back some. I needed a 10HP for my lathe and did some shopping. Checked Grainger and then called two local electric motor shops. Got the best price by $50 or so from one of the motor houses. It was $550 in '98. It's not a top-quality motor, though; it seems to be a little out of balance and vibrates with an annoying hum, but it's good enough for how it's used.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 03:14 PM

Re: Just Don\'t Make things like they used to.

And another thing; a 5HP might only be half the price of a 7.5HP, and should provide plenty of air for a single user. Just switch to a proportionally smaller primary pulley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode