Off Roading Forums banner

O/T Help the Creep!

787 views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Bryan 
#1 ·
Next month's Jeep Creep column is going to center around roll-over safety. I'd like to publish a few pictures of SWB Jeeps rolled on the highway so that readers can judge for themselves the need for a full roll cage.

If any of you have pictures of your highway rolled Jeeps, would you consider emailing them to me with a note authorizing a publishing OK as well as a statement of ownership. Hey, I don't want to be in violation of Copyright laws!

#2 ·
Don't forget to mail Doug (mr cbrack). I doubt he'll read this, but I bet he still has pics of his nasty roll.

Also ORC has pics of a NASTY roll in one of this months comps. The guy (Skinny) was knocked out and was shaking when they got to him. Even cut the cage to get him out.
After a trip to the hospital he was OK, but will take a little recoupe time. (according to it and pirate)

#3 ·
here is mine leve.... sorry its not the greatest quality.. it's kind of old... this happened while towing the jeep on a car dollie.. the driver jack knifed and the dollie came off the ball... it did one complete flip in the air and landed on the drivers side.... at about 45mph... the drivers seat is totally flat... and the stock bar sprung back to this position.. you move it a few feet with your hands.. like down onto the driver.. so if you want to use this picture.. help yourself.. i dont have an email account setup over here... so that is why i am posting the picture here...

#4 ·
hey Leve... great idea for a topic.

we had a guy in our club flip his YJ coming off an exit from the interstate. Corner to corner several times and ended up across the median on its side. He unbuckled and climbed out with only a scratch on his head and a few bruises. Totaled the YJ but thank God he had a full cage tied in.... would have been dead otherwise.

#7 ·
This is from a guy in the <nobr>Jeep</nobr> club I belong to. An import <nobr>car</nobr> pulled in front of him from a side road while he was going about 60mph. He went airborne and rolled on the landing. He wasn't hurt too bad, knocked out and about 12 stiches to the head (note blood on door). There was a cop behind him and he later told him that he really went Dukes of Hazzard on the car.

LEVE, He gave me permission to post this picture and use it in the article, if you wish.

Attachments

#9 ·
Sorry, I know you said "on-highway," but this pic might apply as well...

This Jeep was cobbled together from spare parts, with the express concept of "budget" in mind. Owner didn't think a full rollcage was necessary, as he wouldn't be doing anything "extreme" with it.

FIRST trip out, he was coming down that slope you see in the background of the pic, when the shale gave way and slid the butt end around underneath him. 2.25 flips later, we were scrambling to get his unconscious wife to the hospital. She came out of it with only a headache and a few staples in her head, but we all know things could have been much, much worse.

BTW, his "budget" CJ now has a full rollcage worth probably more than the rest of the Jeep. It isn't the Jeep that's being protected, after all.

#10 ·
Doh!!!
I get so used to using YJ in every sentence that I sometimes slip. No that is not a YJ but I did like the back-to-the-future suggestion. Yup, Andy was shook up but relatively unscathed thanks to the cage. I was told he actually just missed impalling a speed limit sign on one of his flips. The coil spring (along side on the floor) ejected during one of the flips too. All in all it was some mighty fine gymnastics.... wouldn't want to see anyone try it again. Our club uses Andy's jeep as a constant reminder about the importance of a good cage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.