Murphy strikes! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 04:33 PM
cj7ted

Murphy strikes!

I was long past due for Murphy and his laws of stupidity to strike. Well, he caught up with me today.

The Ole CJ7 has been needing a fuel sending unit for a while now. So I ordered it last week, had it overnighted and installed it today. I swear on my great great grand pappys grave I read the directions. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I had already removed the tank for a bumper I was building. So, I proceed to pull the old sending unit out, put the new one in, Wrestled the tank for two hours getting everything reinstalled and hooked back up.
Turn the ignition key and only shows 1/8 of a tank. No problem, I just need gas.

I proceed to fill it up at the local station. get back in Jeep, turn ignition key on, still only shows 1/8 tank. After driving around a liile bit in frustration, I return home and actually read the directions. Oh $h!T! I realized I must have installed the unit 180 out and the float is hanging on the side of the tank. Now I must drain it all and repeat the whole darn thing again.
I NEED A BEER! [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 11:57 PM
Veteran

Re: Murphy strikes!

carry a 5 gallon gas can with you and drive it 'till it runs out, then put in a gallon or two to get home so you don't have to drain it [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

i feel your pain, it seems like with the engine swap every time i have taken a step closer i have found one more thing that needs attention. i started tearing things apart in November to put the 360 in and swear i have just about rebuilt the entire jeep since then. oh well, guess it will be better than new by the time i get it back on the road [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 08:36 AM
Old Hand

Doesn't it have a tab on the sender so it can only go in one way? Check the easy stuff first before pulling the tank again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 08:46 AM

I thought most steel ones did. But if he has a poly tank like mine it doesn't.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 07:37 PM
cj7ted

It has tabs.. 2 of them. one on each side. Thus permitting idiots like myself to put it in backwards. No big deal.. Drained the tank today, turned it 180 and hooked it back up. all works great now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode