Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Murphy strikes! (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/188390-murphy-strikes.html)

cj7ted 03-06-2004 04:33 PM

Murphy strikes!

I was long past due for Murphy and his laws of stupidity to strike. Well, he caught up with me today.

The Ole CJ7 has been needing a fuel sending unit for a while now. So I ordered it last week, had it overnighted and installed it today. I swear on my great great grand pappys grave I read the directions. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I had already removed the tank for a bumper I was building. So, I proceed to pull the old sending unit out, put the new one in, Wrestled the tank for two hours getting everything reinstalled and hooked back up.
Turn the ignition key and only shows 1/8 of a tank. No problem, I just need gas.

I proceed to fill it up at the local station. get back in Jeep, turn ignition key on, still only shows 1/8 tank. After driving around a liile bit in frustration, I return home and actually read the directions. Oh $h!T! I realized I must have installed the unit 180 out and the float is hanging on the side of the tank. Now I must drain it all and repeat the whole darn thing again.
I NEED A BEER! [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

webjeep 03-06-2004 11:57 PM

Re: Murphy strikes!

carry a 5 gallon gas can with you and drive it 'till it runs out, then put in a gallon or two to get home so you don't have to drain it [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

i feel your pain, it seems like with the engine swap every time i have taken a step closer i have found one more thing that needs attention. i started tearing things apart in November to put the 360 in and swear i have just about rebuilt the entire jeep since then. oh well, guess it will be better than new by the time i get it back on the road [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

lindy80cj7 03-07-2004 08:36 AM

Doesn't it have a tab on the sender so it can only go in one way? Check the easy stuff first before pulling the tank again.

Dirt Dog 03-07-2004 08:46 AM

I thought most steel ones did. But if he has a poly tank like mine it doesn't.

cj7ted 03-07-2004 07:37 PM

It has tabs.. 2 of them. one on each side. Thus permitting idiots like myself to put it in backwards. No big deal.. Drained the tank today, turned it 180 and hooked it back up. all works great now.