OT Looking at a S10 for a daily driver? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

OT Looking at a S10 for a daily driver?

I am currently looking at a 2001 chevy s10 4x4 from a local dealership. It has 40000 miles, the 4.3liter vortec motor, in great condition, 3rd door, power everything. Very nice truck. Blue book on it is 15,600, I am hoping to get it for slightly less.

Has anyone had any experience with this truck? What about the price, does that seem about right?

Anyone have any tips on negotiating a car dealer down on price? This will be the first car I have purchased from a dealer, normally I hate paying the extra "car lot cost" but in my area it is about the only option at this time.

Thanks
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 08:21 PM

Re: OT Looking at a S10 for a daily driver?

NOt a bad little truck for a driver. No real problems that I have heard of. (more than any other vehicle on the road)
But thats about all I can say. I'm in Oh. and your in Ca.
To me it sounds high. (for my area) My next door neighbor and good friend just bought an 04 silverado loaded (w/o leather and the smaller V8) for 17.5k brand new. So around me they will deal like mad. While I'm sure you have.........I'd still say shop around. The car market is pretty darn open at the moment.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 08:42 PM

The vortech engine has a good rep. However, you couldn't give me an S-10 (this from a guy who drives a Ranger!). I don't have any experience with the "new" bodystyle, but in the late 80s, early 90s when I was doing fleet maintanence, they were a major pain. Both to work on and for how often they had problems. The Rangers in the fleet fared far better. On the other hand, I know of several guys that have put over 200,000 on older S-10s and still going strong. Either way, that is far more than I'd pay for a 3 year old truck of that size. You can get brand spanking new Rangers with 4wd, extended cab and 3.0 v-6 for about $15k here in Alaska, though only during dealer specials (one of the Ford dealers ALWAYS seems to be running that one!). I'm sure you can get even better deals down south. Heck, V-6 Dakotas were going for under $18k in fairbanks for a while. Anyhow, look around, I think you can find a better deal.

Let us know what you decide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

4x4 are unfortunatyl at a premium around here, that price is below blue book, I am going to carfax it first.

thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 05:27 PM

That price does seem high. I know cali has goofy rules about buying newer cars out of state, well maybe it's just new cars not used, so you may be stuck buying in state but if you can i'd head out of cali to look for a truck. I bet the savings is worth the drive. I personally don't like mini trucks since they are pretty much worthless for towing. Now that i have a full size and a trailer i'm attached and couldn't give up the trailer and the ability to tow my rig to the trail.

BarrelRoll
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 01:00 PM
Old Hand

S-10 has one of the worst resale records. Last week there was a article in msn and it was one of the worst top 10 for resale. Price seems high. Thats only 1500 what a new one goes for around here and they meet cal carb rules.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 09:01 PM
jeepfiend

S-10's got a real black eye from their early years. The early <nobr>trucks</nobr> were vacuum hose infested piles of junk. I had a friend with one of the early ones, and I don't think I ever heard that thing run when there wasn't a vacuum leak somewhere. Half the time the <nobr>4x4</nobr> would not work, the other half of the time it barely worked. I am sure the new ones are better, but if I was looking for a small <nobr>truck</nobr> and if you are wanting American made, buy a <nobr>Ranger</nobr>. Believe it or not, I am not a Ford guy, I actually like Chevys, just not S-10's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode