Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   BRAKE FLUID RES. SLUDGE(YOGURT LIKE TOP LAYER) (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/188331-brake-fluid-res-sludge-yogurt-like-top-layer.html)

82CJnLA 03-05-2004 11:41 AM

BRAKE FLUID RES. SLUDGE(YOGURT LIKE TOP LAYER)

hey guys how goes it. i am working on a <nobr>jeep</nobr> my friend just bot and i am putting new brakes and flushing all the brake lines. damn i opened the reservior and its like jello in both the smaller and larger ends. so when i flush all lines how do i get rid of this gunk? and i noticed on the seal under the lid it says fluid on larger side only, so not the small side? please help this guy is getting pissed cuz i told him im not sure what that is, sheese im doing it for free yet he complains. i know you guys can help. thanks all

WILL 03-05-2004 11:48 AM

Re: BRAKE FLUID RESERVOIR JELLO

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
and i noticed on the seal under the lid it says fluid on larger side only

[/ QUOTE ]

That just shows which side goes down.

82CJnLA 03-05-2004 12:32 PM

cool thanls for the help on that. but what about the jello lokking crude? i'm sure all the lines have to be flushed so then it should be ok. right?

WILL 03-05-2004 01:34 PM

Sorry, I have never experienced fluid in that condition. I'll have to defer to others.

RRich 03-05-2004 05:33 PM

Sounds like somebody put oil in it! If so, the rubber cups in all the cylinders will be too soft now, they'll fail soon.

If it was water it will look rusty milky.

Maybe try putting a little on a rag and letting it set awhile - if it's water it'll evaporate, leaving just brake fluid.

Jim_Lou 03-06-2004 07:42 AM

Re: BRAKE FLUID RES. SLUDGE(YOGURT LIKE TOP LAYER)

It could be that someone mixed DOT 5 (silicone) fluid with regular DOT 3 or DOT 4 glycol-based fluid. That will produce a mess like you describe.

The proper cure is to remove all the seals and cups, flush the system with alcohol and then new pure fluid, and then replace everything. And if I were doing that, I would use DOT 5 when I put it back together. It's great stuff and perfect for a Jeep since it won't absorb water.