Hemoraging Carb! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Hemoraging Carb!

I have a 74 CJ6
Engine number; E645337
(its an inline straight six cylinder)I would love to know its true identity tho...
Carb; Carter YF 643_ (the fourth character is iledgeable)

I have the Chilton Jeep CJ/Scrambler 1971-86 repair manual & "the exploded view of the carter YF carburetor used on the 6-232 and 6-258 engines" is very similar to what's on my fuel system, except I have a 'coiled spring'where, in the Chilton repair book says the "17. Choke Rod" should be...

My prolem is that petrol/gasoline is pouring out of the bottom of the main body of the carb, once the ignition is turned on and the engine reving. I believe an internal diaphram has erroded(?)But I really dont know whats ging on where or why, but its way too dangerous, so I need help...

Please can some of you who have had this problem before- and forgive me if I am boring you to death by asking an age old question for the umpteenth time- enlighten me....
A) Can you ID the Carb & engine exaactly for me?
B) Is a re-build the best option and viable?
C) or Should I pull it out and replace it with a new one?

Lastly,
I live in Ireland, this tiny wee island just east of the U.S of A & sweet Canada, unfortunatley more than a stones throw away & spare parts requistioning is non-existant here for classic Jeeps.
D) so could you steer me in the right direction, once I know the pieces I need for my CJ6, to a tried and tested company ( If I'm lucky it may actually mail out to me here in Europe?)

Thank you so much in advance for your advice and guidance.
NPK1 [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 04:12 PM

Re: Hemoraging Carb!

Sorry, no help with the carb,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but, it is funny to have a 5 star member with only 17 post's,,,,,,,,,,and a 5 star thread with no replys,,,,,,, [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good luck with your new toy [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 04:27 PM
Official Historian

Does this help?

Exploded view
YF Carburetor Tips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 06:31 PM
Veteran

just the kind of friend i need, someone to stay with in Ireland, and he has a 6 [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

seriously though you may try here for your engine codes and you should be able to find some more info on the engine here

as far as the carb i would personally launch that thing towards england and look for an MC2100 to put on it. If you wish and we can figure out how to ship and get money back and forth i would be more than happy to look for one for you around here or on ebay. either way, hope this helps and lemme know if you want me to keep my eyes open. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

btw, what county?

-web
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

<font color="blue"> </font color> >as far as the carb i would personally launch that thing towards england and look for an MC2100 to put on it.< <font color="blue">
<font color="green"> </font color> Web you nearly made me spit coffee all over the monitor when i read that :-)I am completly in the dark as to what an MC2100 looks like, let alone why it should replace the carter YF? maybe you could explain the reason why you went for it and why your recommending it?
My 6, was idleing terribly badly, cutting out on step graidiant take offs... i fiddled about with the distributor cap to ease this pain slightly.. but the accelorator cable was my simplest solution- tigthening it to make a richer feed- but because of the slight bleed from day one in the chamber, i thought that not a good idea- rightfully so, as a big rig desal mechanic friend of mine came by the night i posted my delema and turned white when he saw that the gasket seal between the exhaust mount and the exhaust pipe was gone and the petrol was dripping and hissing off of the engine block just above the elbow on the block...
Our biggest concern before sourcing the gasket seal, is the carb... you've been down this road before with yuor 6, that was what i was hoping on when i posted- so bite the bullet and get a replacement then. What is the ball park pricing on an MC2100 web?
I am in County Cavan, near Virginia town- I swear to god, your in the state and im in the county, that sounds like a line from a Johnny Cash song:0) I work as a bar manager in town
and I really want to get my baby up and going so I can tip in out of work in it, the battery is the main reason it flunked out... I have been told I am lucky she didn't ignite months before this-
I could realy use your help and experience on this- on sourcing the MC2100, I have friends in the Kentucky/Seattle and Chicago areas, so thank you for your offer in trying to figure out the mailing of bank drafts etc, but I can finalise that easily enough when(for ever the opptimist) arrises. I look forward to hearing from you again and your 6- what colour is she and how long have you had her? <font color="green"> </font color>
NPK
out&amp;over 2u web! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

helps greatly Will thanx, you played a blinder there for me! I've saved the web pages and when im off work tomorrow I'll study them in greater detail- thanx again!
NPK out and over 2u... [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

the stars where a complete mistake- pressed the wrong buttons W.C- sorry for pissing you and any one else off, it was a genuine mistake
NpK
out&amp;over 2u [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 12:13 PM

Oh no,,,,I'm not bothered at all,,,,,,,I thought it was funny, [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] ,,,,,,,,around here the stars really don't mean much. That was the best use of them iin a while [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode