Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   O/T - another mozilla convert (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/188267-o-t-another-mozilla-convert.html)

WILL 03-04-2004 02:50 PM

O/T - another mozilla convert

Well, I thought I'd give mozilla a try to see how I'd like it and I must say, I am very happy with it. (I'm just using the firefox 0.8) No more popups trying to open. I have a pop up stopper already but it trys to open another window first. Then when I click back (such as searching here) I have lost what I filled it/changed and have to start over because the page got triggered to reload. Anyway, just commenting on my initial impressions.

BTW, the board seems to load faster too.

WILL 03-04-2004 03:37 PM

Re: O/T - another mozilla convert

How can I get rid of internet explorer? I tried uninstalling it but it is still there just not in the add/remove programs list anymore.

4x4garage 03-04-2004 03:54 PM

The long and the short of it is I don't believe you can get rid of IE anymore. Microsoft integrated IE into the Operating System in such a way removing it will stop the OS from running. Thjs goes back to their anti-trust case years ago. They basically fooled the courts into claiming that IE had to be sold with every operating system. Hence the beginning of the end for Netscape. I would be careful about removing IE. It shouldn't be much of a concern. Is there any particular reason you want to get rid of IE or is it just a general distain for Microsoft!

WILL 03-04-2004 04:10 PM

I've had a couple of times that something has triggered a pop up to open IE.

Jeepskate 03-04-2004 11:52 PM

If you don't have a fundamental problem with sticking with MS and IE6 and just don't like the out-dated interface and lack of pop-up blocking, there *are* some other browsers out there that use current technology interfaces (tabbed browsing, pop-up blocking, etc) over top of the IE engine. I actually went the opposite way (Netscape/Mozilla to IE) mostly due to one call Avant. I get all of the functionality of the latest browsers without installing an entire new engine, just a 2.5 mb or so front end, and since it uses the IE engine I don't have to port over my favorites, the history is intact, auto-complete is intact, etc. You might wanna check it out.

Skip 03-05-2004 01:50 PM

If you don't like MS and IE can you say Linux and Mozilla? works great for me.