What wires to get rid of - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

What wires to get rid of

I just put in a new(rebuilt) 4.2 into my Jeep about a month ago. It has the Weber 32/36 carb. I couldn't find much on this when I searched. I'm wanting to clean up the engine bay and get rid of all those wires that go no where. I just don't know the importance of some of them. It would be nice to get rid of everything but the stuff I need. I know I need the wires for the:
1. alternator
2. starter
3. distributor
4. battery
5. choke
6. and the gauge senders
I would like to have only those wires ran. I just don't know about the other ones like
1. to the "computer"
2. ignition contol mudule(probably)
It is a mess under there as some of you probably know. If someone could help me out or give me tips on cleaning up the mess I would appreciate it much.
Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Re: What wires to get rid of

Any websites have this information that anyone knows of? I'm not the best at searches. I just read a post that showed a Jeep burnt to the ground because of bad wiring. I'm still learning tricks about hooking up wires to make them look clean and neat but I still have a long way to go. I don't want to look like that Jeep.
Tim [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Journeyman

The Haynes or Chilton manual for your Jeep should have complete electrical / wiring diagrams. I have both for the CJ series, but it stops at '86 with the last of the CJ's

Study the diagram and you should be able to remove the dead ends.

HTH
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 10:07 AM
cj7ted

Not sure about your YJ. On my 83 CJ, I started at the diagnostic plug and worked my way back. I have a weber, the nutter bypass and only an egr valve/cat converter for emmisions. Everything else electrical that was connected to the emmisions is gone. The only thing remaining is the ignition module and other wires needed for the essentials you mentioned.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 10:12 AM

USMCYJ: sent you a PM (private message).
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thanks pnut, got you back. I did the same thing with the diagnostic connectors and was able to get rid of a few wires but there still are about 20 more than I'd like under there. Isn't there a way just to run the ignition switch, module, distributor, starter/relay, and alternator? There seems to be a lot of BS under there. Anyidea what those 2 relays(?) and that other little black box with diodes in it are? They mount on the battery mount, on the far,passenger side of the engine, right by those diagnostic connectors. It almost seems like I can do without them but I'm a wuss("careful") and won't cut em. I can't remember where they go. Seemed important enough. Anyways, I have both the chiltons and hanes for it and can't make sense of em. the colors seem to me like they're wrong. Most of them are correct but it seems the ones I am most frusterated with are the ones that I can't in the schematics, and I went to school for this(well, electrical was part of my training).
Thanks
Tim
[img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Can I get rid of my computer behind the dash? What does it do for me since the carter carb aint there no more? That seems like it would eliminate a bunch of wires...
Tim
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 04:38 PM
cj7ted

I just disconnected the computer and ran the jeep to see if I had any problems. No problems encountered. No more computer installed!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 12:06 AM

Just cleaned up under the YJ's hood a few weeks ago. I started my cutting all of the copmputer wires before the rubber plug. Basiclly from there I tracked all of the wires and removed them. Now the YJ has 3/4 inch loom vs. 1 1/2 it had. It also looks much cleaner. Using a volt meter will help determine what you can get rid of.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

cool thanks. I found out what those relays and that diode box is. I'll be looking into getting rid of that next. I just want to hook up my dist right to the ignition module. I'll look some more.
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode