LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 04:52 AM
02Buster

airbag suspension info?

yes i did a search.

jeep is a cj7 with 2 inch lift

my project
airbag suspension with leafsprings.

in my search on this board i have found a few members that had the same idea as i have but never found out if they followed through with it.

airbags will be use to suplly an added 3 inches of lift. and have the ability to lift an aditional 3 inches for situations that need that extra hight.

for the FRONT the bags will be attached at the top of the bag on the inside of the frame rail and the bottom will fit in to a cup that is located to a bracket on the side of the diff housing. at full droop the bottom of the bag bracket will slide outwards in the cup but still be able to be relocated when the tire comes back up.

the back there will be one airbag attached to an A shaped metal frame. the point of the A will be attached to the t-case crossmember and the legs of the A will be attached to the top of the axel tube. the cross member of the A will go up and over the drive shaft and pinion. the air bag will attach to a frame cross member and to the A cross member. johny joints will be attached to the point of the A where it attaches to the t-case cross member, and at the legs on the axel tube. also where the airbag attaches to the A's crossmember.

there will be 4 air valve selonids. one to add air to the rear air bag. one for each side in the front. and one for an air tube that links the 2 front air bags.

the reason for a air tube to link to front 2 air bags is so that when one is conpressed the other will be filled.

for on road driveing the selonide that links the 2 front airbags will be closed so that they will both be stiff and not flow from one to the other.

i know it will be an intresting project and cost some $$$ i love taking on a challange.

the airbags will be doubble convoluted firestone bags with a 10 inche stroke.

in the front they will be mounted so that at that the axel will hit the bumpstop just before the bag is fully compressed.

now the question is why????

i want lift when i need it and want the flatter flexier springs and a low center of gravaty when i need them.

air up when high centerd, water, mud,
air up one side in front and air down the other side in front when driveing across a hill.

front approach angle. air down the back all the way air up the front up all the way.

most rock crawling and trail riding will be done with the bag aird all the way down or 1-2 inches of lift.

if i want to load my jeep up i wont be sagging and wearing out my leaf springs.

what do you all think?????

any questions comments ???

does anyone know if something close to this has been done and do they have a website?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 07:06 AM

Re: airbag suspension info?

That sounds like an interesting project.

I think that one of the problems with airbags as you plan to use them is the volume of air they require. It takes a long time for a smallish compressor to move that much air, and a long time for it to flow through tubes and valves.

Keep us updated. If it works well it should have a lot of advantages.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 07:27 AM
02Buster

i for got to add the part about air suply 12v airpump. 2.5 - 3 gallon tank kept at 150 psi. takes about 2.5 min to fill the tank up to 150 psi. and about 40 sec to fill from 80 back up to 150 the pump will have a pressure switch to keep the tank above 80 psi.

the bags will easily be filled from the tank. and tank pressure will be maintaind by the pump.

thanks for reading and posting a reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 08:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] As you probably know, the Real <nobr>Truck</nobr> Challenge was recently chronicled in FOUR WHEELER magazine, and one of the "daily driver" trucks that did quite well was air-suspended. I just cannot think of a better way to do a rock <nobr>jeep</nobr> than with air bags. How else can you get the movement that is needed? TEAMRUSH is vitally involved in an air suspension company located in Indiana. They do a lot of different types of applications from what I gather in my phone converstaions with TEAMRUSH. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] NOT to diminish your skills in any way, [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] or do anything except support your work, [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] or in any way reduce the effectiveness of your text, [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].....but I AM posting a glossary of useful terms that you will be using in your contacts with vendors and others who may be into air bags: Solenoid, Supply, Axle, Driving, Challenge, Double, Centered, [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Got to get those terms perfect so you can be taken seriously in your future contacts with vendors. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Be sure to keep us posted on what is going on with this project, and if you need to talk with TR, e-mail me and I will ask him if I can send you his secret phone number. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 08:18 AM
02Buster

[img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] thanks dave.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 08:20 AM
Official Historian

Maybe this thread will give you some ideas.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 08:37 AM
02Buster

thanks will. saw that one when i was doing my search

that jeep picture posted in there look pretty cool. know the link to the website that the pic was pulled off of?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
know the link to the website that the pic was pulled off of?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is all I could find there.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 10:05 AM
02Buster

thanks for the link to the pictures.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 11:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Dave,

I often wondered if an air bag system rigged with 4 independant "load levelers" would make an IFS or IRS act more like the solid axles. It would push down on the proper point and "tuck" when it should on the high side.

I just haven't found a contemporary source for the automatic system. Older Caddys are too few and too hard to find....and the current stuff is too integrated into the electronics. Even the "dlllow riddddders" don't have anything like this.

Ahh ..what the heck.. if I thought of it ..someone else has probably been there and done it already ...and more than likely rejected the notion... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode