paint question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 11:43 PM
vols

paint question

I have a 93 yj with a soft top and the paint on the side rails where the bow assembly slides back and forth is chipped like crazy. my question is, could I take the rails off and just simply spray paint them or would that be a bad idea? If so, what should I use instead?

the chipped paint really makes the jeep look terrible with the top off,...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 12:02 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: paint question

Dont have a soft top, but if you can get them off, spray away. It's not so much the paint, but the prep that counts. Sand them down nice, use good quality primer and paint. I try to keep brands the same. Many here speak fondly of paint called or containing "Hammerite" might search that word and get a ton more info. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 02:05 AM
vols

hey thanks, i guess i'll go ahead and spray paint those things,..they shouldnt be to hard to get off. I just need to get a tool to unscrew the 6 sided screws that are holding them in place. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 06:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Let me be the first to say.... Hammerite. Do a search and you will find a ton of info on it. It is really great stuff, that holds up well, gives you a tough finish, and does not require primer. Just hit the parts with some sand paper or a wire wheel, clean them free of dirt and greese and paint away. I am hooked on Hammerite.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 08:07 PM
Old Hand

Actually Olin, doesn't that make you the second to say "Hammerite". [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] OK...So I'll be the third.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Enthusiast

Olin and General,

Have either of you used rattle-can Hammerite...is it as good as the original?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Yup, and with fantastic results. I really really like the way it goes on. Most of the stuff I paint I rattle can it. But I am currently in the market for a paint gun. I figure if I can lay down a nice looking rattle can job, with a paint gun I should be in good shape.
Even coming out of the rattle can it comes out thick, so you do have to watch out for over spraying and drips.
I like to lay down a really really light first coat of spray. Then I usally lay down about 3 or 4 more coats 15 mins apart. And then let dry for at least 24 hours before doing anything with it. It actually takes much longer to fully cure.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2004, 06:44 PM
vols

Believe it or not its taken me a couple of days to chip off the remaining paint on the side rails (that was a tougher job than i thought). But now that i have those ready to be painted i've noticed that some of the parts on the support bows are chipped a little bit. My question is, if they arent chipped that bad (just a little here and there) do i still need to go ahead and scrape it all off? or can i just spray the whole thing like it is??

thanks for the heads up on the paint, i'll go see if i can find that!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 07:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

No you don't need to clean it up compleately. Just take off the loose paint, hit it will a little sand paper to rough it up, and then hammerite right over it.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 07:37 AM

The "6 sided screws" are Torx. Get a set of them from a source that will replace them whey they break. You'll eventually need a bunch of different sizes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode