Buying Jeeps on Ebay - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Buying Jeeps on Ebay

I have a question... How comfortable would you guys be with buying a Jeep off of Ebay. To make it more generalized, how comfortable would you be with buying a Jeep just off of the previous owners honest description of it and pictures he took?

Is that a bad idea? Should I look in my general area to find a Jeep instead of looking states away from me? The problem is, I'm in Milwaukee and because of that everything is a rotten POS. Not to say Jeeps in other areas aren't rotting, but they are a bit worse here in the "salt belt."

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 11:12 PM

Re: Buying Jeeps on Ebay

I personally wouldn't buy anything sight unseen. I've heard about people doing it all the time from real estate to autos. A friend of mine bought a 65 convertable Mustang online. He paid $18,000 for it, nice Mustang. But it's not my money.
I guess I'm saying, if I can't see it for myself, I wouldn't buy it. I think I've heard that Ebay has some kind of fraud clause, but I'm not too sure about that.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 11:26 PM
Skip

Fortunately I have co workers throughout the country and I can have one of them look at somethingt pricey.
In your case look up a shop in the city he is in that will give you an analsys of a vehicle or a dealership. Call them arrange a review of the rig. Have him take it there at your expense. Usually $75.00. The report is yours. Make your decision.
I personally flew Seattle to LA to look at a Morris Minor. It was surveyed and rated real high. I had a bad feeling. Turned out to be a worthwhile trip. It was a well disguised hack job. A couple hundred dollar airline ticket saved me several thousand.
If you don't know someone local I'd probably go there to look
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 11:44 PM
Addict

I have a buddy that bought one off of Ebay he new nothing of Jeeps at the time and the guy told him about all the stuff that he had done to it. Well when he got there to pick it up he took the guys word. When he got back to Wi with it from Co I took a look at it and listed the things that the guy lied about. he still got a good deal but if everything would ahve been there it would have been a much better deal.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 11:59 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Do what Skip suggests. If the seller complains, drop it right there. I made a six hour trip thinking I got a great deal, but ended up with an average Jeep for the price I paid. Digital pics don't do squat, and a man's word means nothing to too many. I vote no, unless there is absolutely no doubt in your mind. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Oh yeah.. to all who read: Dont buy anything from "pwoniel from Iowa" on Ebay.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Ok, cool. I have purchased a lot of small ticket items off of ebay and the like. But never considered purchasing anything over 100 bucks. I always thought there was too much risk involved and too many dishonest people in the world.

I'll just have to look in my immediate area for something then.

Sean
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 09:10 AM
Veteran

of course this board is always a great tool. if you happen to find something on ebay that you may be interested in you could probably find someone on here who is nearby who may be willing to check it out for you. if you find any in central VA i'll be happy to look at em and let you know.

-web
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the offer - I'll keep that in mind!!

Sean

P.S.. Thank you for further validating the content of this thread!! See this link... Jeep People are top notch...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 09:30 AM

Like wise for the Central Arizona area,,,, Find something here and give me a PM I'll take a look at it for you [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 09:49 AM

I built my CJ from 2-1/2 CJs and other parts bought off eBay. I've had a few great deals and many okay ones. We even bought my wife's car on eBay. Only once did someone truly try to cheat me and a call to Visa handled that no fuss (always use a credit card if you can, even if through PayPal.) That said, however, I was always present to pick up the vehicle and inspect it before taking possesion. Without doing that, you're taking a very big risk. There are a lot of people out there who think they can pass off their turd as gold on the Internet. I would do it if I thought the opportunity was worth it but I'd definitely use an escrow service as insurance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode